- UPDATE: Tavon Ross will leave for an official visit to UGA on Friday night after his basketball game, according to his high school coach
The recipient of UGA’s newest scholarship offer will meet with the Bulldog coaches this weekend.
Tavon Ross is a 3-star safety from Bleckley County High School who has been committed to Missouri last August. Ross got a late offer from UGA last Friday.
“Georgia has had their eye on him for a while,” Bleckley County coach Tracy White told the AJC. “I don’t know what caused it to happen now. They’ve been talking to him for a little while. They just called and said they were going to offer, and they did. It was good for Tavon.”
What was Tavon’s reaction to the UGA offer? “I think he’s interested a little bit,” White said. “But Missouri has been on him so long. They were the first and only big school for a while. But I think he will take a look at Georgia.”
The 6-foot, 200-pounder projects as a safety for UGA. “He’s physical and athletic,” White said. “He’s got the size and speed, and he will hit people. He’s just a great athlete. He could play a lot of positions, but UGA wants him at safety.”
Missouri coaches are aware of the situation, and they have more than UGA to worry about. Miami entered the sweepstakes with an offer on Monday night, while Auburn and UNC have also expressed interest.
“They (Missouri) knows how recruiting works,” White said. “They just reminded him that they were there with him first, and they’ve been with him the whole time. They’ve wanted him since before his senior season.”
What’s next for Ross? He has reserved the last weekend before signing day for an official visit to Missouri. This weekend, he will either take an official visit to UGA, or welcome the Bulldog coaches to his high school basketball game on Friday. Miami coaches will also be there. If he doesn’t go to UGA this weekend, he will try for Jan. 24.
“We’ll see what happens,” White said. “He’s interested enough in Georgia to go up there and see what they have to say.”
As Bleckley County this past season, Ross started at quarterback and safety. He had 87 tackles and six interceptions, returning four for touchdowns. He rushed for 652 yards and 10 touchdowns and passed for 734 yards and eight touchdowns while leading Bleckley to the second-most wins in school history.
Note: You can watch Ross’ film HERE. He’s a good-looking athlete, with good speed, above-average quickness, and ridiculous feet. On defense, he lives and dies for making the big hit.
- RELATED: Walton High School defensive back DJ Smith committed to South Carolina over Clemson and Tennessee on Monday night, but told 247sports that he will visit Tennessee on Jan. 24 and possibility squeeze in a trip to Miami.
SINCE YOU LAST VISITED THE BLOG!
- REAX from UGA recruits on expected hire of new defensive coordinator, including Lorenzo Carter
- Parody video for Alabama’s new coach … Lane Kiffin
- New UGA target will meet with Bulldog coaches … this weekend
- Georgia Tech and Ohio State in top 3 for Atlanta DB
- 5-star eliminates UGA
- REAX from UGA’s recruits on Todd Grantham departure
- Georgia Tech pursuing Vanderbilt football commit??
LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- Record-breaking WR declines late UGA offer
- Prospect ALERT: Clemson, South Carolina after late-bloomer
- Top Georgia prospect re-opens his recruitment
- UGA recruit reacts to resignation of Bulldogs coach
- “Coach Lak was my Dawg”
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games
- It’s South Carolina vs. UGA for 4-star defender