Posted: 10:07 pm Thursday, January 16th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
UGA’s new defensive coordinator, Jeremy Pruitt, stopped by Tucker High School on Thursday to check out a longtime commitment to the Bulldogs, linebacker Detric Dukes.
Pruitt also asked about two other talented Tucker seniors who are not committed to colleges – safety Kirk Tucker (who de-committed from Stanford on Wednesday) and cornerback Dominick Sanders (who has an official visit to UCF this weekend). Sanders is the younger brother of Chris Sanders, the former UGA player.
“They might look at (Tucker and Sanders), I don’t know.” Tucker coach Bryan Lamar said. “They were coming by to check on Detric after all the coaching changes, to be honest with you. Yes, they are still evaluating those others guys, but they didn’t schedule anything.”
How are things between UGA and Dukes? “Georgia loves him,” Lamar said. “Detric is fine. He’s solid with Georgia. He loves Georgia, and he’s excited about the coaching changes. They’ve got to get a position coach in there but you won’t find too many guys that don’t like Pruitt. He’s a pretty good guy.”
One other Tucker item of interest: UGA’s Pruitt didn’t really inquire about Elisha Shaw, who was once ranked among the nation’s top prospects at defensive tackle before missing his senior season with a neck injury. Shaw hasn’t been medically cleared yet to return to football.
A few months ago, Shaw had UGA, Alabama and Ole Miss as his leaders. Now it appears that Alabama may be Shaw’s best option, if he decides to resume football.
Shaw told the AJC that he has one official visit – to Alabama on Jan. 24, and his coach verified the recruiting trip.
“The thing with Bama, we’re just waiting to see how Alabama will take care of him,” Lamar said. “He still has an offer there if he wants to go there. He still has some other schools in the mix, too.
What about UGA for Shaw? “The coaches came here today, and we didn’t talk too much about Elisha,” Lamar said. “They wanted to get an eye on Detric and some other guys.”
Tucker has at least three juniors that will be heavily-recruited by UGA, including cornerback Duke Shelly.
SINCE YOU LAST VISITED THE BLOG!
- 1st BIG recruiting test for new UGA defensive coordinator
- Mark Richt courts … ex-UGA signee
- Will UGA offer other Tucker seniors? They’ve got two good ones available
- Alabama’s Kirby Smart to see new UGA target
- NCAA “dead period” is over … where will UGA and GT coaches be?
- Top UGA recruit “inks” his loyalty to Bulldogs … risky to do before signing day?
- REAX from UGA recruits on new defensive coordinator, including Lorenzo Carter
THE LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- Parody video for Alabama’s new coach … Lane Kiffin
- New UGA target will meet with Bulldog coaches … this weekend
- Georgia Tech and Ohio State in top 3 for Atlanta DB
- 5-star eliminates UGA
- Georgia Tech pursuing Vanderbilt football commit??
- Record-breaking WR declines late UGA offer
- Prospect ALERT: Clemson, South Carolina after late-bloomer
- Top Georgia prospect re-opens his recruitment
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games
- It’s South Carolina vs. UGA for 4-star defender