Posted: 1:27 pm Friday, January 17th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
UGA reached out to another one of the state’s hottest prospects on Friday.
And with all due respect to this guy, there’s probably not a hotter prospect in Georgia right now than Cedar Grove High School linebacker Bryson Allen-Williams.
Not after the way he dominated the Army All-America practices.
Rivals.com gave Bryson the “Bull Award” for the prospect who most raised his recruiting stock during the week.
The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder committed to South Carolina over Alabama, UGA and UCLA last April. Allen-Williams will take his official visit to South Carolina this weekend.
On Friday, Allen-Williams also confirmed to the AJC that he scheduled a visit to Alabama for next weekend. “It’s because of my relationship to Brandon Greene” — the former Cedar Grove offensive lineman who now plays a Alabama.
Back to UGA: On Friday, Jeremy Pruitt, the new defensive coordinator for the Bulldogs, told Allen-Williams that he would be stopping by Cedar Grove High School next week.
What was Bryson’s reaction? “It’s pretty cool since he was the defensive coordinator of the national champions. But other than that, I really don’t have any (thoughts) about it. I’ll let you know how our talk goes next week.”
UGA isn’t the only one trying for a last-minute miracle with Allen-Williams. Alabama, Auburn and UCLA have also been in recent contact.
Bryson was always recruited by the big schools but with nowhere near the intensity as right now. It all has to do with his eye-opening performance at the national all-star game.
At the Army Bowl, Allen-Williams dominated practices against elite prospects at his projected college position – linebacker. The college scouts all took notice (At Cedar Grove, he was forced to play a lot at defensive end simply because of team needs).
Here’s what Rivals.com had to say from the Army Bowl: “In a week when most of the top linebackers disappeared, Allen-Williams made play after play. He covers like a safety yet holds up very well against the run as well … Allen-Williams was the East’s most impactful defensive player from the first whistle of Monday’s practice to the final gun of Saturday’s game. He flies to the football and makes plays from sideline to sideline but also stuck a pair of West running backs in the hole during the Army Bowl game.”
Allen-Williams, who didn’t get a lot of respect in prior rankings because he didn’t test well at the Nike SPARQ combine and many analysts viewed him as an undersized defensive end, is now getting a lot of love in the various final rankings. In Georgia, he has rocketed up the charts to the state’s No. 8 overall prospect.
One final note about Allen-Williams and why he may extra important for UGA to try to poach: His younger brother, Cedar Grove defensive tackle Antwuan Jackson, is one of the nation’s top prospects for 2016. The 6-foot-3, 265-pound sophomore already boasts early offers from South Carolina, UGA, Clemson and Auburn, among others. Jackson has already said UGA is his early favorite.
And if you remember from a few years ago, there was a little-known recruit out of Gwinnett County named Denzel Nkemdiche who wanted to go to UGA (it didn’t work out). He had a younger brother who was a decent prospect.
RELATED: There was a big development on Friday involving a top UGA recruit who is worried about the coaching changes that you can read HERE
MORE FRIDAY TIDBITS: UVA has gotten involved with Pace Academy wide receiver Kameron Uter (6-4, 215), who de-committed from Vanderbilt last week. Uter left for an official visit to Wake Forest today, and is tentatively scheduled to go to Vanderbilt next week. Northwestern offered Uter on Thursday, and UVA could be next.
— Michael Carvell (@Carvell_AJC) January 17, 2014
SINCE YOU LAST VISITED THE BLOG!
- UGA and Alabama make late push for Atlanta football star
- 1st BIG recruiting test for new UGA defensive coordinator
- Mark Richt courts … ex-UGA signee
- Will UGA offer other Tucker seniors? They’ve got two good ones available
- Alabama’s Kirby Smart to see new UGA target
- NCAA “dead period” is over … where will UGA and GT coaches be?
- Top UGA recruit “inks” his loyalty to Bulldogs … risky to do before signing day?
- REAX from UGA recruits on new defensive coordinator, including Lorenzo Carter
THE LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- Parody video for Alabama’s new coach … Lane Kiffin
- New UGA target will meet with Bulldog coaches … this weekend
- Georgia Tech and Ohio State in top 3 for Atlanta DB
- 5-star eliminates UGA
- Georgia Tech pursuing Vanderbilt football commit??
- Record-breaking WR declines late UGA offer
- Prospect ALERT: Clemson, South Carolina after late-bloomer
- Top Georgia prospect re-opens his recruitment
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games
- It’s South Carolina vs. UGA for 4-star defender