Posted: 1:47 am Monday, January 20th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
— UGA Football News (@UGAfootballLive) January 18, 2014
It was a relatively quiet weekend of recruiting for UGA.
UGA had four prospects on an official visit, including two were already committed to the Bulldogs – Cedartown High School RB Nick Chubb and former Grayson High School DB Shattle Fenteng.
Probably the weekend’s biggest news was no news with wide receiver Rico Johnson, the former UGA signee who was expected to commit again to the Bulldogs.
Johnson, who played at Georgia Sports Prep Academy this past season, is also considering Middle Tennessee State, Maryland and Marshall. His college decision could come at any moment.
Probably the most intriguing visitor was Tavon Ross, the Missouri commit who got a later offer from UGA. The safety from Bleckley County High School seemed to enjoy his recruiting trip with the Bulldogs, based on his tweets.
I'm riding with Coach Richt in the truck that was in that commercial 😎😎
— Tavon Ross (@BCFlight_9) January 18, 2014
Fenteng, who has been committed to UGA since last August, gave his official visit rave reviews. He got some quality time with team’s new defensive coordinator, Jeremy Pruitt.
“My visit was great,” he said. “I just felt like I fit right in with the guys. I met the new coach who came from Alabama and went to Florida State and won the championship. He told me that I’m the type of corner he likes to recruit.
“We got some one-on-one time and went over some plays. (Pruitt) said, ‘You know, I’m not getting you here just to sit? You better be ready to roll.’”
What was Fenteng’s impression of the new assistant? “He’s cool. He’s a straight-up guy. He looks like he doesn’t take any BS from players. If somebody acts up, he’s going to straighten them out. I feel like he’s a good guy, and he knows what he’s doing. You can just tell he knows what he is doing.”
Fenteng spent most of the weekend hanging out with Rico Johnson, and feels like a commitment may be imminent.
“I think he’s going to commit to Georgia, and I’m going to make sure of it,” Fenteng said with a laugh. “I feel like he’s going to Georgia. His cousin goes to Georgia. Rico and I, we made a bond. We’re talking like a ‘I’m going to go to whatever school you’re going to’ bond.
“I’m just trying to help Georgia recruit. I’m going to help him go here, too, you know? But I feel like he’s going to commit to Georgia because he knows everybody here. He knows the Georgia boys because he signed last year before he went to prep school.”
Fenteng wasn’t as confident about UGA’s chances with Tavon Ross.
“I don’t know; Tavon is young,” he said. “I kept asking him. ‘What’s up? Are you going to commit to Georgia?’ He was like, ‘I don’t know, man. I’m committed to Mizzou right now.’ So I don’t know what he’s thinking.”
Fenteng said the weekend’s funniest moment was shooting basketball with UGA’s assistant coaches and the other prospects. They played PIG, and Fenteng edged out Mike Bobo for the win with a deep 3-pointer.
Fenteng also had a long discussion with Richt before departing: “He told me ‘You’re not coming as a freshman. You’re a JUCO guy, and you have to make it the most of it. It’s straight to work when you get here.’ I was like ‘Yes sir.’
Will Fenteng still take an official visit to Ole Miss next week? “I will let you by the end of the week.”
More on Tavon Ross: He will take his official visit to Missouri on Jan. 31, but has to decide between making a recruiting trip to Alabama or Miami this Friday. Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart stopped by Bleckley County last Thursday to make a late offer. “Yes, he has an offer from Alabama,” Bleckley County coach Tracy White said. “It’s the same reasons as everybody else – his size and his speed. They want him as a safety. They saw his film, and … I don’t know how long they’ve known about or have seen him. This is a recent thing with Alabama. I haven’t heard from them much. That’s not anything negative with them. Like everybody else that’s coming along now, I don’t know why it’s coming now, rather than earlier. The important thing for Tavon is that it’s coming now, but it’s throwing a lot at him at once. It’s not giving him as much time to think about as much as other people who get offered as a junior.”
NEWS FROM OVER THE WEEKEND!
- RECAP of UGA’s recruiting weekend … Are Bulldogs about to get No. 17?
- Recruit’s mother issues statement … about UGA and Alabama
- UGA target names South Carolina as his leader, but, but …
- Video of evidence of Nick Saban doing the ELECTRIC SLIDE … say what???
- It could be a WILD, WILD finish in recruiting with Myles Autry … Georgia Tech and FSU are leaders but could Florida & UGA get involved because of Lorenzo Carter?
- RECAP of Georgia Tech’s BIGGEST recruiting weekend of the year
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
- Alvin Kamara transferring from Alabama, per report
- UGA and Alabama make late push for Atlanta football star
BUT. THERE’S. MORE.
- 1st BIG recruiting test for new UGA defensive coordinator
- Mark Richt courts … ex-UGA signee
- Will UGA offer other Tucker seniors? They’ve got two good ones available
- Alabama’s Kirby Smart to see new UGA target
- Top UGA recruit “inks” his loyalty to Bulldogs … risky to do before signing day?
DID YOU SEE THIS?
- Georgia Tech offers four players in one day from Stephenson HS
- Georgia Tech and Ohio State in top 3 for Atlanta DB
- 5-star eliminates UGA
- Georgia Tech pursuing Vanderbilt football commit??
- Record-breaking WR declines late UGA offer
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games