Posted: 1:06 am Tuesday, January 21st, 2014
By Michael Carvell
Where is UGA’s Mark Richt recruiting today? How about Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson?
Thanks to Social Media, celebrity football coaches can hardly go anywhere without it being mentioned quickly on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.
It was easy to track Richt’s movements last month because kids took pictures of the coach and instantly posted it on Social Media. For example, when Richt stopped by Greater Atlanta Christian to check on some underclassmen, the Gwinnett school’s official Twitter account felt the need to let everybody know.
The days of coaches sneaking into high schools to eyeball prospects without having rival colleges find out about it are long gone.
“I hear these things are happening on Twitter, but I don’t ever go and look for them and think ‘Wow, look at that,’” Richt told the AJC.
“Our recruiting guys, they know what are happening. I think they like the attention it brings. It helps make your program more relevant to the general public. It can trickle down to recruits and their families that it was a big deal that this or that coach was there. So if that’s a positive, that’s fine.
“But we’re not trying to do anything in secret. But I don’t think (other colleges) need Social Media to know where we’re at. There’s still enough of a little network of people that you still know just about what everybody is doing, although there’s much more (publicity) about it when you see the pictures.”
If you want to instantly find out where Richt is over the next three weeks, just type his name in the Twitter search bar HERE. You can do that for Paul Johnson, too, although he is much harder to find because both his first and last names are common names, unlike “Richt.”
Mark Richt was at sprayberry today!
— Dimit (@DimitriyReznich) December 4, 2013
2015 Clemson WR commit Shadell Bell from Columbia HS –> RT @_SBell8 Coach Speed From Georgia Tech Came By To See Me #yellowjackets
— Michael Carvell (@Carvell_AJC) January 21, 2014
Lol @ GAC flipping out over Mark Richt being at school. Like i saw Kirby Smart and coordinators from clemson, vanderbilt, temple, etc.
— Jameson Gaddis (@Jameson_gaddis) December 4, 2013
— Krysti Edwards (@edwards1992) January 21, 2014
SINCE YOU LAST CHECKED THE BLOG …
- Lorenzo Carter on meeting new UGA coach and the impression made on his parents … ranking his LSU trip … and why he’s changing FSU visit
- Will new UGA target visit Alabama this weekend? How did he like UGA trip?
- UGA turns to a familiar face for commit No. 17
- How to find out where Mark Richt and Paul Johnson are recruiting today … via Social Media
FROM OVER THE WEEKEND
- Recruit’s mother issues statement … about UGA and Alabama
- UGA target names South Carolina as his leader, but, but …
- Video of evidence of Nick Saban doing the ELECTRIC SLIDE … say what???
- It could be a WILD, WILD finish in recruiting with Myles Autry … Georgia Tech and FSU are leaders but could Florida & UGA get involved because of Lorenzo Carter?
- RECAP of Georgia Tech’s BIGGEST recruiting weekend of the year
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
BUT. THERE’S. MORE.
- UGA and Alabama make late push for Atlanta football star
- 1st BIG recruiting test for new UGA defensive coordinator
- Will UGA offer other Tucker seniors? They’ve got two good ones available
- Top UGA recruit “inks” his loyalty to Bulldogs … risky to do before signing day?
DID YOU SEE THIS?
- Georgia Tech offers four players in one day from Stephenson HS
- Georgia Tech and Ohio State in top 3 for Atlanta DB
- 5-star eliminates UGA
- Record-breaking WR declines late UGA offer
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games