Posted: 3:40 pm Tuesday, January 21st, 2014
By Michael Carvell
- UPDATED: Tavon Ross has decided on Miami over Alabama for his official visit this weekend, his coach told the AJC.
Bleckley County High School safety Tavon Ross, who got a late offer from UGA and took an official visit with the Bulldogs this past weekend, is still deciding whether to take a recruiting trip to Alabama or Miami on Friday.
Ross got a late offer from Alabama last week, and Crimson Tide defensive coordinator Kirby Smart was expected to attend Bleckley County’s basketball game on Tuesday night.
“It’s about the same,” Bleckley County coach Tracy White told the AJC. “The same four are in the mix. He doesn’t know yet where he will visit this weekend. It’s either Miami or Alabama. He doesn’t know yet. He’s talked to Miami and Alabama a lot over the phone the last two days. They are both trying to get him to come there this upcoming weekend. He doesn’t know where he’s going yet.”
Ross is the state’s hottest prospect, along with Cedar Grove High School linebacker Bryson Allen-Williams. Both have been committed to SEC schools since the summer, with Ross pledged to Missouri and Allen-Williams stating intentions to sign with South Carolina. But it hasn’t fazed other colleges from recruiting the duo.
Ross took an official visit to UGA this past weekend.
“He had a good time, and he enjoyed it,” White said. “He had a good time. He met Coach Pruitt (the new UGA defensive coordinator). He likes Coach Pruitt.
“Like Tavon said on Twitter, it was fun for him to ride in Coach Richt’s truck and go to Coach Richt’s house, as it would be anywhere. He just had a good time. It wasn’t enough to make him switch or change his mind, but you can tell that he’s got a big decision to make.”
UGA assistant Will Friend will be at Bleckley County on Wednesday, and he could be joined by Jeremy Pruitt.
Miami had an in-home visit with Ross on Monday night, and said some things that really caught his attention.
“Tavon is intrigued with Miami, the city and how they are recruiting him,” White said. “They are recruiting him as an offensive player, as a running back. So that’s a whole different spin on it.”
Ross played quarterback and defensive back for Bleckley County. Which position does he prefer in college?
“One day it’s safety, and the next day he might want to play running back — I think he just wants to play college football,” White said. “But he did say that he was intrigued by running back a little bit.”
Ross hasn’t talked to Alabama coach Nick Saban yet. “It’s all Kirby Smart,” White said.
Back to Bryson Allen-Williams: The South Carolina commit will visit Alabama and UGA over the next two weekends.
SINCE YOU LAST CHECKED THE BLOG …
- Revenge?? Todd Grantham trying to poach one of his UGA recruits … for Louisville
- Lorenzo Carter on meeting new UGA coach and the impression made on his parents … ranking his LSU trip … and why he’s changing FSU visit
- Will new UGA target visit Alabama this weekend? How did he like UGA trip?
- UGA turns to a familiar face for commit No. 17
- How to find out where Mark Richt and Paul Johnson are recruiting today … via Social Media
FROM OVER THE WEEKEND
- Recruit’s mother issues statement … about UGA and Alabama
- UGA target names South Carolina as his leader, but, but …
- Video of evidence of Nick Saban doing the ELECTRIC SLIDE … say what???
- It could be a WILD, WILD finish in recruiting with Myles Autry … Georgia Tech and FSU are leaders but could Florida & UGA get involved because of Lorenzo Carter?
- RECAP of Georgia Tech’s BIGGEST recruiting weekend of the year
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
BUT. THERE’S. MORE.
- UGA and Alabama make late push for Atlanta football star
- 1st BIG recruiting test for new UGA defensive coordinator
- Will UGA offer other Tucker seniors? They’ve got two good ones available
- Top UGA recruit “inks” his loyalty to Bulldogs … risky to do before signing day?
DID YOU SEE THIS?
- Georgia Tech offers four players in one day from Stephenson HS
- Georgia Tech and Ohio State in top 3 for Atlanta DB
- 5-star eliminates UGA
- Record-breaking WR declines late UGA offer
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games