Posted: 12:55 am Wednesday, January 22nd, 2014
By Michael Carvell
- UPDATED: UGA coach Mark Richt and assistant John Lilly will spend Friday in Fayatteville, N.C., with Lamont Gaillard and his mother for an in-home visit, his coach told the AJC on Thursday night.
- UPDATED: It appears that efforts of ex-UGA defensive coordinator Todd Grantham to flip Lamont Gaillard to Louisville fell short. “Lamont is not interested in Louisville,” Gaillard’s high school coach told the AJC on Wednesday. “Miami is up in the air for this weekend (for an official visit), and nothing for next week.” UGA defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt had planned to make an in-home visit on Wednesday, but was advised to delay because of cold weather. Pruitt will make the trip next week, accompanied by Mark Richt.
Ex-UGA defensive coordinator Todd Grantham is trying to poach of his former recruits with the Bulldogs.
Grantham, who has been hired as Louisville’s new defensive coordinator, is expected to make a visit on Thursday to see Lamont Gaillard, the 4-star defensive tackle from Fayetteville, N.C., who has been committed to UGA since last summer.
Gaillard is still pledged to UGA, but is checking out options after the coaching changes. He plans to take an official visit to Miami this weekend, and will likely go see Grantham at Louisville on Jan. 31.
“Lamont is still pretty much committed to Georgia,” Pine Forest High School coach Bill Sochovka said on Tuesday. “I think these trips are just trying to get a little bit of feel for everything because of the changes going on and having a Plan B. He’s got to have a Plan B. But he seems pretty solid to Georgia based on our conversations. Lamont talked to Coach Pruitt and told him he was still committed.”
Grantham, like most college coaches, simply pounced on an opportunity to recruit a top prospect when there’s some instability with the school he’s committed to. Ironically, it was Grantham who started the chain of UGA instability when he left the Bulldogs for another job.
“I think Coach Grantham is a familiar face for Lamont,” Sochovka said. “When everything went down at Georgia, Coach Grantham was a familiar face and he already had a connection with Lamont. I don’t know how serious he is about Louisville. He’s still committed to Georgia, but he’s feeling the waters.”
Grantham has let Gaillard, who has a gigantic “Georgia Bulldogs” tattoo across both forearms, know that he could personally develop him into an NFL prospect at Louisville.
“Coach Grantham is obviously pursing him,” Sochovka said. “He’d liked the have him. He holds Lamont in high regard and considers him to be one of the best defensive players in the nation. When this went down, I figured things like this would happen.
“Yesterday, Texas called with an interest in Lamont, and Lamont basically told him ‘No, Texas is too far away.’ So he didn’t entertain Texas’ interest in him. It came about because the Alabama coach (Chris Rumph) that recruited him is now at Texas. (Rumph) had heard he was taking visits, and Texas wanted a chance but it was too far away.
“When Lamont got off the phone, I asked him what’s your commitment now with Georgia? He said ‘I’m about 85-percent committed to Georgia.’ But I don’t think people should fret about it.”
UGA’s new defensive coordinator, Jeremy Pruitt, was planning to make an in-home visit with Gaillard on Wednesday, but was advised by Sochovka to reschedule for next week due to winter weather.
Miami met with Gaillard on Monday.
SINCE YOU LAST CHECKED THE BLOG …
- Who will Mark Richt hire as UGA’s new recruiting coordinator? Well …
- Revenge?? Todd Grantham trying to poach one of his UGA recruits … for Louisville
- Lorenzo Carter on meeting new UGA coach and the impression made on his parents, ranking his LSU trip, and why he’s changing FSU visit
- Arizona, UCLA, Clemson and Oklahoma St. inquire about Alabama RB transfer Alvin Kamara
- Will new UGA target visit Alabama this weekend? How did he like UGA trip?
- UGA turns to a familiar face for commit No. 17
- How to find out where Mark Richt and Paul Johnson are recruiting today … via Social Media
WHILE WAITING ON THE SUPER BOWL …
- Recruit’s mother issues statement … about UGA and Alabama
- UGA target names South Carolina as his leader, but, but …
- It could be a WILD, WILD finish in recruiting with Myles Autry … Georgia Tech and FSU are leaders but could Florida & UGA get involved because of Lorenzo Carter?
- RECAP of Georgia Tech’s BIGGEST recruiting weekend of the year
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
BUT. THERE’S. MORE.
- UGA and Alabama make late push for Atlanta football star
- 1st BIG recruiting test for new UGA defensive coordinator
- Will UGA offer other Tucker seniors? They’ve got two good ones available
- Top UGA recruit “inks” his loyalty to Bulldogs … risky to do before signing day?
DID YOU SEE THIS?
- Georgia Tech offers four players in one day from Stephenson HS
- Georgia Tech and Ohio State in top 3 for Atlanta DB
- Record-breaking WR declines late UGA offer
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games