Posted: 11:45 pm Friday, January 24th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
UGA is a darkhorse candidate for one of the state’s top uncommitted prospects.
Andrew Williams, a 4-star defensive tackle from ECLA, plans to take an unofficial visit to UGA early next week to meet with coaches. If things go well, Williams could return for an official visit at UGA next Friday, the final weekend before signing day.
UGA’s flirtation adds some spice to what was once considered a two-horse race between Auburn and Clemson. The 6-foot-4, 247-pound Williams visited Auburn last weekend, and leaves for Clemson on Friday.
It could be a wild finish.
“I’m going to wait until signing day (to decide),” Williams told the AJC on Thursday night. “I still have a couple of schools I want to visit. I don’t have any top schools right now. I’m just trying to get all my visits in, and then lay out the facts and numbers.”
The relationship between UGA and Williams has taken a lot of twists and turns over the last couple of years. Williams didn’t get much love from UGA when Rodney Garner was the team’s defensive line coach – which was ironic because Garner later became one of the main reasons that Auburn is now considered the school to beat.
Garner’s replacement at UGA, Chris Wilson, reached out to Williams but never really made any progress.
Things began to turn in UGA’s favor when new defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt made an in-home visit with Williams on Tuesday.
“Me and Coach Pruitt, we were really close when he was at FSU,” he said. “FSU wasn’t the place for me, but he went to UGA and started recruiting me. We’ll see how it proceeds from there.”
Williams had to cut Tuesday’s visit short because he was sick with food poisoning, but Pruitt left him with something to think about:
“Over the phone, he said me and Allen-Williams were two of his guys that he wanted personally for this class. So I guess that says a lot, with everybody they’ve got coming in, that us two are his choices.”
Bryson Allen-Williams, a linebacker from Cedar Grove High School, is committed to South Carolina but will take official visits to Alabama and UGA over the next two weeks.
“Coach Pruitt said he is going to bring in a whole new scheme that will bring that FSU vibe to Georgia. You see what they did this year, so you can’t put down what he’s saying. You’ve got to at least look or listen.
“Pruitt and Coach Jimbo Fisher offered me going into my junior year but I never really felt that vibe at FSU. But other than that, I have a good feeling about Pruitt. We’ve had a good relationship for a long time. He’s a good football coach. He knows X’s and O’s. He knows how to produce, and how to put players in the right place. That’s what I look for in a coach.
“I’m not saying Georgia is at the top with me, but I’d be dumb not to see what he has to say.”
Pruitt invited Williams for an official visit to UGA on Jan. 31, and he’s considering it, along with trips to Tennessee and Penn State, among others, on that date.
Right now, the tentative plan is for Williams to make an unofficial visit with the Bulldogs at the beginning of next week.
“It will be just for the day, for a few hours to sit down with the coaches and break down film,” Williams said. “They want me early during the week, so they can convince me to come later that weekend for an official visit. It’s in my hands at this point. I just feel like if they want me that badly, I’d go over there and listen.”
Williams is rated as a 4-star prospect and the state’s No. 17 overall prospect, per 247sports. His older brother played football at Georgia Tech.
— Andrew Williams (@DrewWill_79) January 19, 2014
SINCE YOU LAST CHECKED THE BLOG …
- Will UGA’s late push work with top uncommitted prospect?
- Spurrier vs. Dabo Swinney … in a wresting match?
- Could Georgia Tech flip a UCF commit? It looks promising
- Who will Mark Richt hire as UGA’s new recruiting coordinator? Well …
- Revenge?? Todd Grantham trying to poach one of his UGA recruits … for Louisville
WHAT A WEEK
- Lorenzo Carter on meeting new UGA coach & ranking his LSU trip
- Arizona, UCLA, Clemson and OSU inquire about Alabama RB transfer Alvin Kamara
- How did new UGA target Tavon Ross like recruiting trip to Bulldogs?
- UGA turns to a familiar face for commit No. 17
- How to find out where Mark Richt and Paul Johnson are recruiting today … via Social Media
WHILE YOU DEFROST FROM THE COLD …
- Recruit’s mother issues statement … about UGA and Alabama
- UGA target names South Carolina as his leader, but, but …
- It could be a WILD, WILD finish in recruiting with Myles Autry … Georgia Tech and FSU are leaders but could Florida & UGA get involved because of Lorenzo Carter?
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
BUT. THERE’S. MORE.
- UGA and Alabama make late push for Atlanta football star
- 1st BIG recruiting test for new UGA defensive coordinator
- Top UGA recruit “inks” his loyalty to Bulldogs … risky to do before signing day?
- Georgia Tech offers four players in one day from Stephenson HS
- Record-breaking WR declines late UGA offer
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games