One of Atlanta’s top football recruits for 2015 committed to Alabama on Saturday.
Jonathan Ledbetter, a 6-foot-5, 265-pound defensive lineman from Tucker High School, committed to Alabama over Auburn and UGA, among others. He announced his decision via Twitter.
Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart had stopped by Tucker to check on Ledbetter last week, and the big guy committed to the Crimson Tide during an unofficial visit on Saturday.
Tucker High School coach Bryan Lamar didn’t know Ledbetter was going to commit this early, but he was happy for his junior standout. He had a lot of praise for the 3-star who is rated as the state’s No. 39 overall prospect for 2015.
“He’s got a rare combination of size and speed,” Lamar told the AJC on Saturday. “Right now, he stands about 6-5 and 265 pounds. And he can fly around. He’s big, he’s strong and he’s physical. He can play all across the defensive line at every position. He will probably fill out in college and be an inside guy. But he’s quick and agile enough to stay on the outside, if he was needed there.”
Ledbetter helped Tucker reach this season’s Class AAAAA state championship game after transferring from Holy Innocents’ after his sophomore season. His first offer was from Georgia Tech in October, and he was offered by UGA earlier this month.
Alabama doesn’t have a lot of Georgia players in its 2014 class, with only two imported commitments. But Alabama is setting up nicely to raid the state next year, with three out of the team’s six early commitments from Georgia, including Carver-Columbus High School defensive end Mekhi Brown, whose former coach now works in the recruiting office at Auburn.
Also at Tucker, senior defensive back Kirk Tucker committed to Oklahoma State over N.C. State and Northwestern during his official visit on Saturday. Tucker had recently backed off his pledge to Stanford because he hadn’t cleared admissions, and had plenty of suitors waiting for him. Georgia Tech, UGA, Alabama and Florida had also expressed heavy interest while waiting to see what happened with other players.
SINCE YOU LAST CHECKED THE BLOG …
- Top Georgia recruit commits to Alabama
- Alabama loses top QB recruit … Mark Richt hits the road
- Georgia Tech recruit on “secret” visit to other school, per reports
- Will UGA’s late push work with top uncommitted prospect?
- Spurrier vs. Dabo Swinney … in a wresting match?
- Could Georgia Tech flip a UCF commit? It looks promising
WHILE YOU’RE WAITING ON WARMER WEATHER
- Who will Mark Richt hire as UGA’s new recruiting coordinator? Well …
- Lorenzo Carter on meeting new UGA coach & ranking his LSU trip
- Arizona, UCLA, Clemson and OSU inquire about Alabama RB transfer Alvin Kamara
- How did new UGA target Tavon Ross like recruiting trip to Bulldogs?
- UGA turns to a familiar face for commit No. 17
- How to find out where Mark Richt and Paul Johnson are recruiting TODAY … via Social Media
WITHIN THE LAST FEW DAYS
- Recruit’s mother issues statement … about UGA and Alabama
- UGA target names South Carolina as his leader, but, but …
- It could be a WILD, WILD finish in recruiting with Myles Autry
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
- UGA and Alabama make late push for Atlanta football star
- Record-breaking WR declines late UGA offer
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games