Posted: 5:59 pm Wednesday, January 29th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
Georgia Tech’s football staff was back on the road recruiting on Wednesday after being slowed down by weather conditions the night before.
“All our guys are out there,” Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson told the AJC. “Some of them got stuck. But they are all out.”
College coaches from across the country, including UGA’s Mark Richt, had their recruiting efforts in Atlanta impacted by Tuesday’s icy weather. Johnson was recruiting in North Carolina on Tuesday morning and returned to Atlanta around 1 p.m.
“I got back in before it got totally crazy,” Johnson said. “We had coaches that got stuck in Augusta, Milledgeville, and all over. (Defensive coordinator Ted Roof) got stuck in Mobile, Ala. He was trying to get to Nashville, so he drove to Tampa. Instead of coming this way, they went the other way to catch flights out. Everybody was pretty much in place by today.”
Johnson had to cancel an in-home visit with a prospect on Wednesday, and will likely have to do the same for an out-of-state kid on Thursday.
“I had one scheduled today that we had to cancel because they’re not in school. Because a big part of it, especially with the kids committed, is to go by the schools. I think that is just as important or more important than to get into the home.
“We have one in Charleston tomorrow that we’re probably going to have to cancel because there’s no school. And Charleston is as bad or worse than here (in Atlanta). They are not used to it (the weather situation) either.”
With the NCAA’s “dead period” starting at midnight Sunday and signing day less than a week away (Feb. 5), Johnson didn’t think he would get to make up the in-person visits.
“We’re so close to signing day but it’s OK,” Johnson said. “Most of the people we’re recruiting that we have left, I’ve already been in their homes so I can’t go again anyways.”
West Forsyth (Ga) OL Andrew Marshall said he had to cancel today's mtg with GT's Paul Johnson. They'll try again Friday
— Michael Carvell (@Carvell_AJC) January 29, 2014
ALL OF THIS JUST HAPPENED
- UGA gives final sales pitch to DB … Will it work?
- Mark Richt barely escapes being stuck in Atlanta snow while recruiting
- Recap of Mark Richt’s visit with Lorenzo Carter … why do parents have a “concern” about UGA?
- Georgia Tech coaches back on road after snow delays
- Junior-college standout to visit Georgia Tech
- Brother of ex-UGA football player commits to Bulldogs … on the spot
- UGA’s Mark Richt and GT’s Paul Johnson appear … at same HS on same day
DID YOU SEE THIS?
- “Hand-to-hand combat” between colleges for Lorenzo Carter (see the pic)
- New UGA targets emerging?
- Georgia Tech recruit flips to Iowa after “secret” visit
- Top Georgia recruit commits to Alabama
- Will UGA’s late push work with top uncommitted prospect?
- Who will Mark Richt hire as UGA’s new recruiting coordinator? Well …
- Lorenzo Carter on meeting new UGA coach & ranking his LSU trip
THERE’S MORE …
- How to find out where Mark Richt and Paul Johnson are recruiting today … via Social Media
- Recruit’s mother issues statement … about UGA and Alabama
- UGA target names South Carolina as his leader, but, but …
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
- Record-breaking WR declines late UGA offer
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games
TO UNDERSTAND THE BIG PICTURE