Posted: 5:29 pm Wednesday, January 29th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
FSU’s Jimbo Fisher won’t get a chance to do an in-home visit with the state’s No. 1 overall college football prospect on Wednesday, unless something changes in the next hour or so.
Norcross High School defensive end Lorenzo Carter and his family were expecting to meet the FSU coach on Wednesday. The Seminoles are one of Carter’s finalists, along with UGA, Florida and LSU.
However, the Atlanta ice storm and traffic gridlock have postponed (or altogether eliminated) Fisher’s meeting. Norcross High School was closed on Wednesday.
“No, I don’t think he’s going to come,” Carter’s mother told the AJC on Wednesday evening. “I don’t know. I’ve been on the phone with (FSU defensive coordinator Charles) Kelly earlier today. And I just don’t see how he could get over here. They were saying his (Fisher’s) flight could land. But they weren’t sure if they could get down to the airport to get him. So it’s really up in the air, but I don’t think he is coming today.”
Fortunately for Florida, the Atlanta roads appears to clearing in time for Will Muschamp to make his in-home visit with Carter on Thursday. “As far as I understand, Coach Muschamp will be here tomorrow. He did not given a solid time yet but I think it’s going to be around lunchtime.”
What’s next for FSU and Carter? There’s a good possibility that Fisher and/or his assistants will be at Norcross’ basketball game at 7 p.m. Friday at Peachtree Ridge High School – if it’s played. Fisher could meet with Carter before the game, too. Carter will leave after the game on his official visit with UGA.
College coaches can meet with prospective student-athletes up until Sunday’s midnight deadline for the NCAA “dead period.” Signing day is Wednesday.
Carter’s mother said Sunday night “won’t be an option” for meeting because the family will be returning so late from UGA. They will be watching some of the Super Bowl with the Bulldogs coaches.
ALL OF THIS JUST HAPPENED
- Mark Richt barely escapes being stuck in Atlanta snow while recruiting
- Recap of Mark Richt’s visit with Lorenzo Carter … why do parents have a “concern” about UGA?
- Georgia Tech coaches back on road after snow delays
- Junior-college standout to visit Georgia Tech
- Brother of ex-UGA football player commits to Bulldogs … on the spot
- UGA’s Mark Richt and GT’s Paul Johnson appear … at same HS on same day
- “Hand-to-hand combat” between colleges for Lorenzo Carter (see the pic)
- New UGA targets emerging?
- Georgia Tech recruit flips to Iowa after “secret” visit
- Top Georgia recruit commits to Alabama
- Alabama loses top QB recruit … Mark Richt hits the road
DID YOU SEE THIS?
- Will UGA’s late push work with top uncommitted prospect?
- Spurrier vs. Dabo Swinney … in a wresting match?
- Could Georgia Tech flip a UCF commit? It looks promising
- Who will Mark Richt hire as UGA’s new recruiting coordinator? Well …
- Lorenzo Carter on meeting new UGA coach & ranking his LSU trip
- How did new UGA target Tavon Ross like recruiting trip to Bulldogs?
- How to find out where Mark Richt and Paul Johnson are recruiting today … via Social Media
THERE’S MORE …
- Recruit’s mother issues statement … about UGA and Alabama
- UGA target names South Carolina as his leader, but, but …
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
- Record-breaking WR declines late UGA offer
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games
TO UNDERSTAND THE BIG PICTURE