Posted: 7:28 pm Thursday, January 30th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
Jaquez Parks, the AJC’s Mr. Football for 2013, committed to Kennesaw State on Thursday.
The quarterback from Griffin High School picked the Owls over offers from Army, Air Force, Mercer and UT-Chattanooga. Kennesaw State will begin play in 2015 under former Georgia Tech assistant Brian Bohannon.
“I think Coach Bohannon is going to do a great job there starting that program,” Griffin coach Steve Devoursney said. “I think he got a steal with a quarterback to start that program with.”
“Jaquez is a difference-maker. He was the AJC’s player of the year. That says enough. But the kid can both run and pass very well. He can help a team win in a lot of different ways. He was the best quarterback I’ve ever had. He’s a special kid.”
Why KSU? “It’s close to home, it’s a new program, and he has the opportunity to start his first year.”
The 6-foot, 200-pound Parks passed for 3,640 yards and rushed for 1,329 yards while leading Griffin to its first state championship since 1978. Parks was overlooked by bigger colleges.
“Some guys from ESPN want to do an article on him — How he’s the AJC Player of the Year, but has fallen through the cracks,” Devoursney said. “It’s just that many of these colleges find a quarterback early in the recruiting process. He was a late-bloomer that people just missed on.”
ALL OF THIS JUST HAPPENED
- UGA gives final sales pitch to DB … Will it work?
- Mark Richt barely escapes being stuck in Atlanta snow while recruiting
- Recap of Mark Richt’s visit with Lorenzo Carter … why do parents have a “concern” about UGA?
- Georgia Tech coaches back on road after snow delays
- Junior-college standout to visit Georgia Tech
- Brother of ex-UGA football player commits to Bulldogs … on the spot
- UGA’s Mark Richt and GT’s Paul Johnson appear … at same HS on same day
DID YOU SEE THIS?
- “Hand-to-hand combat” between colleges for Lorenzo Carter (see the pic)
- New UGA targets emerging?
- Georgia Tech recruit flips to Iowa after “secret” visit
- Top Georgia recruit commits to Alabama
- Will UGA’s late push work with top uncommitted prospect?
- Who will Mark Richt hire as UGA’s new recruiting coordinator? Well …
- Lorenzo Carter on meeting new UGA coach & ranking his LSU trip
THERE’S MORE …
- How to find out where Mark Richt and Paul Johnson are recruiting today … via Social Media
- Recruit’s mother issues statement … about UGA and Alabama
- UGA target names South Carolina as his leader, but, but …
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
- Record-breaking WR declines late UGA offer
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games
TO UNDERSTAND THE BIG PICTURE