Posted: 11:16 am Thursday, January 30th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
UGA’s Mark Richt has given his final sales pitch to Tavon Ross, the 3-star safety who is committed to Missouri.
Richt, who was accompanied by assistants Will Friend and Jeremy Pruitt, made an in-home visit for around two hours on Wednesday with the Bleckley County High School standout.
“They want him to come there” Bleckley County coach Tracy White told the AJC on Thursday. “They know he’s going to visit Missouri. It’s getting close to the last couple of times they can talk to him, and they were just selling what they were offering.
“He’s considering the offer from Georgia. I’m not going to say he’s leaning there. He is listening to what they say. But he’s still committed to Missouri, and he’s going there this weekend.”
Ross has taken official visits to both UGA and Miami over the last two weekends. He turned down the chance to visit Alabama. His last recruiting trip will be to Missouri on Friday.
“If he goes to Missouri and falls in love with the place, I think it’s easy,” White said. “If he goes out there and doesn’t like it, then he will have to come home and do some soul-searching.”
Don’t count out UGA’s chances for a couple of reasons. First off, Ross is still relatively unfamiliar with Missouri, despite committing there last summer. He committed at the time because it was the only big school recruiting him. Ross has never been to Missouri’s campus — and he only met head coach Gary Pinkel for the first time this past Monday.
UGA also made it clear to Ross that this week’s commitment to Tucker High School’s Dominick Sanders did not affect how the Bulldogs feel about him. Sanders could play cornerback or safety. Ross is being recruited by both UGA and Missouri as a safety.
There were also reports this week that both Missouri and UGA were looking this week at other last-minute safety candidates, which is unlikely to impact Ross’ final decision.
“I guess you have to sign more DBs than running backs because there are more of them on the field at the same time,” White said. “It depends on what a college needs.”
ALL OF THIS JUST HAPPENED
- UGA gives final sales pitch to DB … Will it work?
- Mark Richt barely escapes being stuck in Atlanta snow while recruiting
- Recap of Mark Richt’s visit with Lorenzo Carter … why do parents have a “concern” about UGA?
- Georgia Tech coaches back on road after snow delays
- Junior-college standout to visit Georgia Tech
- Brother of ex-UGA football player commits to Bulldogs … on the spot
- UGA’s Mark Richt and GT’s Paul Johnson appear … at same HS on same day
DID YOU SEE THIS?
- “Hand-to-hand combat” between colleges for Lorenzo Carter (see the pic)
- New UGA targets emerging?
- Georgia Tech recruit flips to Iowa after “secret” visit
- Top Georgia recruit commits to Alabama
- Will UGA’s late push work with top uncommitted prospect?
- Who will Mark Richt hire as UGA’s new recruiting coordinator? Well …
- Lorenzo Carter on meeting new UGA coach & ranking his LSU trip
THERE’S MORE …
- How to find out where Mark Richt and Paul Johnson are recruiting today … via Social Media
- Recruit’s mother issues statement … about UGA and Alabama
- UGA target names South Carolina as his leader, but, but …
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
- Record-breaking WR declines late UGA offer
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games
TO UNDERSTAND THE BIG PICTURE