What a wild, wild recruiting weekend expected for UGA.
Things are changing by the minute.
Between 6-8 prospects may take official visits with UGA, and the arrivals and departures are scattered all over the place.
Why is everything scattered? Some of it has to do with last-minute decisions on whether or not to visit UGA on the final weekend before signing day, and some of it has to do with pre-planning to get there late in order to stay on campus on Sunday evening to watch the Super Bowl with the Bulldogs coaches.
Here’s a breakdown:
- Lorenzo Carter, DE, Norcross (Florida, UGA, Florida State and LSU are leaders): The state’s No. 1 prospect will leave after his basketball game on late Friday night to take his final official visit, which is UGA. The Bulldogs will get the chance to make the last impression. UGA is still considered the school to beat, but may not be out in front as much as people think after Carter’s parents expressed “concern” about the Bulldogs not hiring a linebackers coach yet. Carter will stay at UGA until late Sunday to watch the Super Bowl with coaches, which will prevent other colleges from personal contact before the NCAA “dead period” kicks off at midnight.
- Wesley Green, CB, M.L. King (South Carolina and UGA are co-leaders): This was easily Friday’s biggest development: Green told the AJC that he will not go to UGA on Friday, and may not make the official visit at all.
- Andrew Williams, DE, ECLA (Auburn and Clemson as co-leaders): His high school coach said that Williams is expected to take a delayed official visit to UGA, beginning on Sunday. You can read about that HERE. There were reports that Mark Richt visited ECLA on Friday but it was assistants Jeremy Pruitt and Tracy Rocker instead.
- Kendarius Webster, CB, Stockbridge (committed to Ole Miss): Webster told Ole Miss reporters that he was “finished” with official visit a coupe of weeks ago, but UGASports.com’s Jake Rowe reported that Webster confirmed that he will take an official visit to UGA this weekend. Stockbridge coach Kevin Whitley told the AJC on late Friday: “You are the third person to ask me that today. I have no idea if he’s going to visit UGA. I have no idea. A couple of recruiting services called me. But I have not heard that he’s going. We’ve been out of school all week with the weather. I have not seen Coach Pruitt. He came the day he got the job, but he hasn’t come back since then.” Update: Rowe told the AJC that Webster later informed him he was unsure about visit.
- Shaquille Jones, safety, Merritt Island, Fla. (committed to Louisville): Could UGA steal a recruit from former UGA defensive coordinator Todd Grantham? Grantham hasn’t known Jones that long, and Jones only committed to Louisville last week. But UGA fans would love it, nonetheless. Jones tweeted on Friday that he was en route to UGA. The 2-star safety was originally committed to South Alabama but has become a popular secondary target for colleges this week.
- Bryson Allen-Williams, LB, Cedar Grove (committed to South Carolina): Allen-Williams was considering arriving late Friday or early Saturday at UGA, so he could hang out with his buddy Lorenzo Carter and the Bulldogs coaches to watch the Super Bowl on Sunday evening. Richt almost got stuck at Bryson’s house while making a home visit last Tuesday during the ice storm. UGA and Alabama are considered long shots but you never know in the wacky world of recruiting. Anything can and does happen.
- Dominick Sanders, DB, Tucker (committed to UGA): This was the week’s biggest news for UGA.
- Shakenneth Williams, WR, Rutland (committed to UGA)
The AJC also confirmed that one of UGA’s top defensive recruits, 4-star DT Lamont Gaillard of Fayetteville, N.C., will take an official visit to Miami this weekend.
SO MUCH, SO FAST
- It’s going to be a WILD, WILD final weekend for recruiting at UGA
- Bad news for UGA and … good news for South Carolina??
- Top Georgia DT expected to take last-minute visit to UGA
- UGA gives final sales pitch to DB … Will it work?
- The night Mark Richt almost spent the night on a recruit’s sofa
- Why do Lorenzo Carter’s parents have a “concern” about UGA?
- Junior-college standout to visit Georgia Tech
- Brother of ex-UGA football player commits to Bulldogs … on the spot
DID YOU SEE THIS?
- “Hand-to-hand combat” between colleges for Lorenzo Carter (see the pic)
- New UGA targets emerging?
- Top Georgia recruit commits to Alabama
- Who will Mark Richt hire as UGA’s new recruiting coordinator? Well …
- Lorenzo Carter on meeting new UGA coach & ranking his LSU trip
THERE’S MORE …
- Recruit’s mother issues statement … about UGA and Alabama
- UGA target names South Carolina as his leader, but, but …
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
- Record-breaking WR declines late UGA offer
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games
TO UNDERSTAND THE BIG PICTURE