UGA is at risk at losing three commits by signing day, but it appears that the Bulldogs may have gotten past a rough spot with the recruit who has “Georgia Bulldogs” tattooed in gigantic letters across both forearms.
Lamont Gaillard is a 4-star defensive tackle from Fayetteville, N.C., who has been committed to UGA since last summer.
Gaillard took a last-minute visit to Miami over the weekend, and told Scout.com’s Chad Simmons on Sunday night that he would need to talk to his coaches and family before rendering a final decision.
By Monday evening, it appeared to be a much better situation for UGA, his coach told the AJC.
“I think he’s going to stick with Georgia,” Pine Forest High School coach Bill Sochovka said. “I’m pretty sure that’s the route he is going to go. He asked if Georgia faxed the papers yet for him to sign. I guess that’s a good sign.
“Miami did a great job recruiting Lamont, and it’s nothing against Miami. It was good for him to see at the time. After all the coaching changes at Georgia, it was good for Lamont to see another place.
“But I’m 95-percent sure he’s going to Georgia, unless something happens between now and Wednesday. I think he’s going to be a Bulldog.”
There has been some understandable confusion between Gaillard and UGA due to the massive coaching changes on defense. Gaillard committed to former UGA coaches Todd Grantham and Chris Wilson. Were the new coaches as high on Gaillard as the previous staff?
On Monday, Sochovka talked directly to Richt about that topic.
“Coach Richt said he was 100-percent committed to Lamont,” Sochovka said.
That appeared to have addressed the concerns, but as soon as the coach hung up with Richt, Gaillard entered the classroom and told his coach that he had heard that a defensive tackle had switched his commitment from Florida State to UGA this weekend (Note: We’re not aware of that happening, but there’s always endless surprises in this business)
In an attempt to clear up that confusion, Gaillard talked over the phone with UGA defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt for around five minutes.
“I asked Lamont ‘Are you good now?’” Sochovka said. “Lamont told ‘Yes, I’m good.’
“But I’ve got Miami’s letter-of-intent for Lamont on my desk. I told the Miami coach that I’m not going to send it back until I know everything is done on Wednesday. I said ‘Either you’ll get it faxed to you or I’ll send it back when he signs with Georgia.’
“To the best of my knowledge, he is Georgia-bound unless something weird happens.”
There’s a predictable trend with the three UGA commits who are a risk to flip – all three are out-of-state commits.
Safety Kendall Gant of Lakeland, Fla., took a “secret visit” to Marshall and may switch due to “academic reasons.”
Wide receiver Gilbert Johnson of Miami will decide on Wednesday if he’s going to stick to UGA or switch to South Florida or Louisville, according to Rivals.com
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.
Please Follow me on Twitter @RecruitingAJC + Please be my Facebook friend here
TO UNDERSTAND THE BIG PICTURE
NEWS FROM THE LAST FEW HOURS …
- Lorenzo Carter’s mother ranks UGA visit as “11″ on scale of 1-10
- Former UGA football player commits to … Alabama
- There’s 95% chance … UGA commit will stick with Bulldogs
- UGA swipes Louisville recruit from Todd Grantham … commit No. 19
- Potential shocker? UGA emerges as top contender with Andrew Williams
- UGA may lose recruit for … non-football reasons
- South Carolina commit says UGA “put a lot in my head”
- Could 3 (not 2) UGA commits flip to other schools??
- State’s No. 1 prospect for 2015 to commit … on Wednesday
OVER THE WEEKEND
- Recap of UGA’s final recruiting weekend
- Junior college player reveals secret college decision on … Instagram
- Some of the funniest recruiting pictures you will EVER see …
- He’s Baaad! Lorenzo Carter sinks game-winning shot, leaves for UGA visit
- Bad news for UGA and … good news for South Carolina??
- Top Georgia DT expected to take last-minute visit to UGA
SOME OF YOUR FAVORITES
- The night Mark Richt almost spent the night on a recruit’s sofa
- Why do Lorenzo Carter’s parents have a “concern” about UGA?
- Brother of ex-UGA football player commits to Bulldogs … on the spot
- “Hand-to-hand combat” between colleges for Lorenzo Carter (see the pic)
- Top Georgia recruit commits to Alabama
- Who will Mark Richt hire as UGA’s new recruiting coordinator? Well …
- Recruit’s mother issues statement … about UGA and Alabama
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games