Posted: 4:35 pm Tuesday, February 4th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
Georgia Tech sent out a last-minute football scholarship offer to an Atlanta kid who committed on the spot.
Clinton Lynch, a wide receiver from Norcross High School, flipped from Georgia State to Georgia Tech on Tuesday after getting a call from Yellow Jackets defensive coordinator Ted Roof.
The 5-foot-11, 180-pound Lynch was also a candidate to get a last-minute offer from Vanderbilt.
“Coach Roof called me around 10 or 11; I was in my AP Lit class, and I was just walking out of there,” Lynch told the AJC. “He asked me how good I slept last night. Yesterday he told me that they would have an answer for me by today. I couldn’t really sleep that well because I was thinking about it too much. He asked why and I told him.
“Then Coach Roof said ‘You’ve got the offer you were looking for’ and I was so relieved after that. I committed on the spot.”
Lynch got overshadowed with college scouts because he played with a cast of high-profile recruits on a Norcross team that has won back-to-back state championships in Georgia’s largest classification. Lynch led the Blue Devils with 47 catches for 912 yards and four touchdowns.
“He’s a great player,” Norcross coach Keith Maloof said. “He was under the radar the whole recruiting season. They (Georgia Tech) are getting a diamond in the rough. He’s perfect for their system. He’s a great player and a great kid. He’s one of the best players we have.
I’m sure they will use him at both (wide receiver and A-Back). I’m sure they will start him off at the A-Back. And the good thing about it is that if they go to throwing formation, they don’t have to change personnel because he can go out and do that.”
Georgia Tech is also recruiting one of his teammates, Norcross “athlete” Myles Autry, who will decide between the Yellow Jackets and FSU at 3:40 p.m. Wednesday.
“(Lynch) came up to me and said he committed to GT,” Autry told the AJC. “That’s awesome. I’m happy for him. That’s my buddy. It won’t affect my decision. If I don’t go there, we’ll still be friends. If I do, then that’s great for GT fans and the GT nation.”
Georgia Tech has 19 commits for 2013. Lynch is rated as a 2-star and the state’s No. 200 overall prospect, per 247sports.com’s composite rankings.
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.
Please Follow me on Twitter @RecruitingAJC + Please be my Facebook friend here
TO UNDERSTAND THE BIG PICTURE
NEWS FROM THE LAST FEW HOURS …
- UGA and longtime DB commit … part ways
- Lorenzo Carter’s mother ranks UGA visit as “11” on scale of 1-10
- Former UGA football player commits to … Alabama
- There’s 95% chance … UGA commit will stick with Bulldogs
- UGA swipes Louisville recruit from Todd Grantham … commit No. 19
- Potential shocker? UGA emerges as top contender with Andrew Williams
- UGA may lose recruit for … non-football reasons
- South Carolina commit says UGA “put a lot in my head”
- Could 3 (not 2) UGA commits flip to other schools??
- State’s No. 1 prospect for 2015 to commit … on Wednesday
OVER THE WEEKEND
- Recap of UGA’s final recruiting weekend
- Junior college player reveals secret college decision on … Instagram
- Some of the funniest recruiting pictures you will EVER see …
- He’s Baaad! Lorenzo Carter sinks game-winning shot, leaves for UGA visit
- Bad news for UGA and … good news for South Carolina??
- Top Georgia DT expected to take last-minute visit to UGA
SOME OF YOUR FAVORITES
- The night Mark Richt almost spent the night on a recruit’s sofa
- Why do Lorenzo Carter’s parents have a “concern” about UGA?
- Brother of ex-UGA football player commits to Bulldogs … on the spot
- “Hand-to-hand combat” between colleges for Lorenzo Carter (see the pic)
- Top Georgia recruit commits to Alabama
- Who will Mark Richt hire as UGA’s new recruiting coordinator? Well …
- Recruit’s mother issues statement … about UGA and Alabama
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
- UGA QB signee shakes off his struggles in all-star games