One of the best “reads” from signing day a piece by 247sports.com called “Behind the Scenes.”
It offers an overview and perspective on the highlights (and low-lights) of this year’s recruiting scene.
Here is one item that was Georgia-related and caught our attention. (click HERE to read more):
One of the wilder scenarios this past cycle occurred in Jesup (Ga.) Wayne County. Four-star wide receiver Krenwick Sanders committed to Georgia on Nov. 29, 2012. Georgia reached out to Wayne County coach Jody Grooms in July and indicated they were cooling on the instate commit, hence parting ways. Sanders eventually found a new suitor in Wisconsin and committed to the Badgers on Oct. 8.
In January, Florida, reeling after a 4-8 campaign, was scrambling to find receivers and made a push for Sanders. They went in the home on Monday night Jan. 13 sending in assistants Joker Phillips and Brad Lawing.
They went around Grooms and went straight to the family’s house for the in-home. Sanders contacted his coach to join the in-home visit.
Rewind seven years earlier. As the coach for Wadesboro (N.C.) Anson County, Grooms had a similar situation to that of Sanders. His wide receiver at the time, Michael Bowman, signed his National Letter of Intent with South Carolina. He was set to enroll in August and received a call from South Carolina that they were going in a different direction, saying Bowman hadn’t met the required academic requirements for admission to the university, despite him having more than the necessary core G.P.A and test. Bowman wound up having to go to East Carolina and Gamecocks head coach Steve Spurrier called out the school’s admissions department, threatening to leave if they did not accept NCAA-eligible athletes.
And who was on that South Carolina staff? Lawing. It was the first time Grooms had crossed paths with the assistant since that instance years ago.
Needless to say, with Sanders going through a similar type deal, Florida wound up sending in the wrong assistant to try and flip him, given the historical connection with the high school coach. Sanders signed with Wisconsin yesterday.
You gotta love recruiting, eh? One of the best recruiting storytellers I’ve ever been around is Georgia Tech assistant Andy McCollum. I could listen to him for days.
Happy Signing Day everybody.
LATEST RECRUITING NEWS …
- Missouri coaches take pride in “fending off” UGA for Georgia recruits
- UGA signee Isaiah McKenzie talks about last-minute decision to Bulldogs
- Boom! Florida Gators get some “Deja Vu” on recruiting trail
- This year’s best story from National Signing Day
FROM SIGNING DAY
- Georgia’s No. 1 prospect for 2015 commits to Clemson over Ohio State
- UGA kicked off signing day with 2 big surprises
- HS coach claims UGA “pulled offer” from longtime DB commit
- Former UGA football player signed with … Alabama
- Some of the funniest recruiting pictures you will EVER see …
SOME OF YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITES
- The night Mark Richt almost spent the night on a recruit’s sofa
- The recruiting picture that everyone is talking about
- Who will Mark Richt hire as UGA’s new recruiting coordinator? Well …
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.
Please Follow me on Twitter @RecruitingAJC + Please be my Facebook friend here