Posted: 12:41 pm Friday, February 7th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
As expected, Missouri’s coaches were proud of themselves for holding onto a pair of prized prospects from Georgia during recruiting’s final stretch.
The first was Tavon Ross, who made a final decision on signing day to stick with Missouri over UGA. The safety from Bleckley High School committed to Missouri last summer, and turned down last-minute overtures from UGA, Alabama, Auburn and Miami.
It wasn’t like it was a tight relationship between Missouri and Ross either. Missouri offered Ross “sight unseen” last summer, and Ross committed on the spot because it was his only big offer at the time.
Ross didn’t meet Missouri coach Gary Pinkel until shortly before signing day, and he didn’t see Missouri’s campus in person until last week.
“Unique kid, and a guy that really saw Missouri as a place where he felt very comfortable leaving Georgia for,” said Missouri assistant Alex Grinch, who is Pinkel’s nephew, to the Columbia Daily Tribune.
“I think that’s something that appealed to him. He had a comfort level with us very early on, and it continued throughout the process. It got hectic, but his coaches and those individuals around him — his family and friends — gave him good advice. He looked around and took some trips, but we were fortunate to get the last visit, and things worked out. Absolutely thrilled.”
Missouri also fended off UGA for North Gwinnett High School wide receiver Nate Brown. Grinch admitted he “looked like a ghost” after being informed that the Bulldogs made a late offer to Brown.
“I’ve been at some other pretty good programs that, if Georgia would have come in and offered a couple guys you’re recruiting and they’re from the state of Georgia, you would have had a hard time keeping those guys,” Missouri offensive coordinator Josh Henson said.
LATEST RECRUITING NEWS …
- Missouri coaches take pride in “fending off” UGA for Georgia recruits
- UGA signee Isaiah McKenzie talks about last-minute decision to Bulldogs
- Boom! Florida Gators get some “Deja Vu” on recruiting trail
- This year’s best story from National Signing Day
FROM SIGNING DAY
- Georgia’s No. 1 prospect for 2015 commits to Clemson over Ohio State
- UGA kicked off signing day with 2 big surprises
- HS coach claims UGA “pulled offer” from longtime DB commit
- Former UGA football player signed with … Alabama
- Some of the funniest recruiting pictures you will EVER see …
SOME OF YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITES
- The night Mark Richt almost spent the night on a recruit’s sofa
- The recruiting picture that everyone is talking about
- Who will Mark Richt hire as UGA’s new recruiting coordinator? Well …
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.
Please Follow me on Twitter @RecruitingAJC + Please be my Facebook friend here