This year’s crowning achievement by former UGA recruiting coordinator Rodney Garner was flipping one of the state’s top defensive linemen from the Bulldogs to his current employers – the Auburn Tigers.
The defensive lineman was Dontavius Russell, the 4-star recruit from Carrollton High School who committed to UGA last spring but backed off the pledge after witnessing Auburn’s miracle upset over Alabama.
Garner also had some help in flipping Russell to Auburn. He was teammates at Auburn with Russell’s uncle, Dennis Wallace, who played safety for the Tigers.
In an interview with AuburnSports.com’s Jay G. Tate, Garner reflected on this year’s recruiting efforts, and had some interesting comments about hauling in Russell. Garner didn’t specifically name UGA (or anybody) but made it clear that Auburn had to overcome some “negative recruiting.”
“I knew that kid loved Auburn — because that’s the way he was raised,” Garner told the website. “Auburn was coming off a 3-9 season. There were people who were throwing all kinds of innuendos that Auburn was going to get into trouble … this and that. They got into the kid’s mind and clouded it. They took a kid who always wanted to be at Auburn and made him question that.”
Garner also commended Russell for being “man enough to change him mind.”
Last year, Garner had a dominating presence on the recruiting trail, including convincing Carl Lawson to sign with the Tigers even though Garner passed on the 5-star recruit while at UGA. Garner also signed Montravius Adams, who didn’t even make a final decision to visit Auburn until less than a week before signing day.
EX-UGA TE SIGNS WITH BAMA
One of the biggest surprises in the final days leading up to signing day was Alabama signing former UGA tight end Ty Flournoy-Smith, who played at Georgia Military junior college this past season.
Flournoy-Smith was dismissed after his freshman year at UGA for getting into trouble twice, including admitting to police he smoked pot in a dorm room and being arrested for filing a false report of a crime for cashing in text books that he had reported as stolen.
GMC’s coaches praised Flournoy-Smith for his behavior this past season. He appeared headed to Ole Miss, but the Rebels backed off. He got a last-minute offer from Alabama. To his credit, Flournoy-Smith said he’s learned from his dismissal from UGA in an interview with TideSports.com’s Andrew Bone.
“(Coach Nick Saban) asked me am I ready to commit. Not only ready to commit to do great on the football field, but also ready to commit to being a better person. I told him, ‘Hell yeah coach, let’s do it’ … I am going to continue to take steps in the right direction. Hopefully, with this I can show kids you can overcome that adversity. If given a second chance you can run with it. It’s something I am willing to prove the next two years.”
One of Auburn’s top recruits. Camden County High School’s Kalvaraz Bessent, was arrested and charged with two drug felonies over the weekend.
LATEST RECRUITING NEWS …
- Auburn and Alabama lead out-of-state invaders for Georgia talent
- Top Auburn recruit arrested, charged with two drug felonies
- Rodney Garner overcomes “negative recruiting” to flip kid from UGA to Auburn
- Missouri coaches take pride in “fending off” UGA for Georgia recruits
- UGA signee Isaiah McKenzie talks about last-minute decision to Bulldogs
- Boom! Florida Gators get some “Deja Vu” on recruiting trail
- This year’s best story from National Signing Day
FROM SIGNING DAY
- Georgia’s No. 1 prospect for 2015 commits to Clemson over Ohio State
- UGA kicked off signing day with 2 big surprises
- HS coach claims UGA “pulled offer” from longtime DB commit
- Former UGA football player signed with … Alabama
- Some of the funniest recruiting pictures you will EVER see …
SOME OF YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITES
- The night Mark Richt almost spent the night on a recruit’s sofa
- The recruiting picture that everyone is talking about
- Who will Mark Richt hire as UGA’s new recruiting coordinator? Well …
- Catching the BIG one! 5-star commits to UGA
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.
Please Follow me on Twitter @RecruitingAJC + Please be my Facebook friend here