Posted: 6:06 pm Saturday, February 15th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
One of South Carolina’s top football recruits flipped to UGA on Saturday.
Chauncey Rivers is a 4-star defensive end from Stephenson High School who had been committed to South Carolina since last summer.
Rivers switched to UGA after attending Junior Day on Saturday. He finally got a long-awaited offer from the Bulldogs three weeks ago. Rivers is commit No. 5 for UGA’s Class of 2015.
“Georgia has always been my dream school,” Rivers told the AJC. “I’ve always wanted to go to Georgia, and I really like the new defensive coaches that they brought in.
“I felt comfortable (with making the switch) after talking to everybody. I wanted to end my recruiting today, so I went ahead and committed.”
UGA sophomore defensive Josh Dawson also helped turn the tide red and black with Rivers. They played together at Tucker High School before Rivers transferred to Stephenson last season. Rivers is also friends with UGA signees Detric Dukes and Dominick Sanders of Tucker.
“Ever since Josh went to Georgia, it was something that Chauncey wanted to do, too,” said his mother, Devaunya Rivers. “Josh has always been Chauncey’s mentor. He’s like an older brother.
“Being that Georgia is his home state, it was always where my son’s heart was. It feels like home, and like a big family with Josh, Detric and Dominick there. After talking with Coach Richt today, it just brought everything together.”
Before Rivers officially made the switch, he made the call to South Carolina defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward to deliver the news.
“We raised Chauncey to handle this decision like a man,” his mother said. “He called Coach Ward to let him know that South Carolina was important to him, but his dream has always been to go to Georgia and play with his (high school) teammates in college. They will be able to go on a different journey together and win bowl games and get rings together.”
“I don’t think (the switch) went over well with South Carolina. But they respect his decision, and they understand things like this happen in recruiting.”
Add Chauncey, “Coach Ward said he is still going to recruit me hard. He respected my decision, but he said he’s still going to recruit me hard.”
Rivers speculated that some more of Georgia’s top juniors may be committing soon to UGA.
“I think every kid that grows up in Georgia dreams about getting an offer from the University of Georgia,” he said. “It means a lot to kids from Georgia, and it meant a lot to me. It was a great offer to get a few weeks ago, and I took advantage of it.”
UGA COMMITS FOR 2015
- Terry Godwin, WR, 6-0, 160, Callaway: He’s already ranked as a 5-star prospect and was one of the state’s top dual-threat prospects last season as a junior. He picked UGA over Auburn. Goodwin will play WR in college but could also get a look at DB and as a returner on special teams.
- Rico McGraw, S, 6-0, 190, Nashville (Tenn.) Ensworth: McGraw said he had been waiting from UGA for an offer for “a long time,” and committed to the Bulldogs one day after finally getting one. Don’t expect Tennessee to give up on McGraw. He’s ranked as the No. 2 overall prospect for 2015 out of Tennessee
- Christian Owens, WR, 6-5, 200, Griffin: Big possession-type WR helped his high school win Class AAAA state championship as a junior. Owens committed to UGA over Vanderbilt at the 2013 G-Day game.
- Chauncey Rivers, DE, 6-3, 225, Stephenson: UGA flips kid who had been committed to South Carolina since last summer.
- DeVondre Seymour, OL, Hinds (Miss.) junior college, 6-6, 315: The North Gwinnett High School standout is the nephew and adopted son of former UGA and NFL standout Richard Seymour and got a last-minute UGA offer on signing day in 2013. The younger Seymour is very raw and undeveloped but has a high ceiling of potential.
LATEST RECRUITING NEWS …
- Could Alvin Kamara come back to SEC to play against his former team, Alabama?
- What would it take for state’s No. 1 WR to flip from Tennessee? Since you asked …
- UGA FLIPS South Carolina commit on Junior Day
POST-SIGNING DAY NEWS
- Drug felony charges to be dropped against top Auburn football recruit
- High marks for Ole Miss with post-Nkemdiche recruiting
- FINAL LOOK at UGA’s 2014 class: Signees, late additions and close calls
- Does Mark Richt take it personally when a kid flips from UGA?
- Candid Q&A with Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson
- Top OL names UGA in his top 3
AND THERE’S MORE
- Steve Spurrier defies old age on the recruiting trail … the Ageless Ball Coach?
- The UGLY aftermath of an Auburn-Alabama recruiting war
- Which are out-of-state schools are raiding Georgia for elite talent?
- Rodney Garner overcomes “negative recruiting” to flip kid from UGA to Auburn
- This year’s best story from National Signing Day
- Georgia’s No. 1 prospect for 2015 commits to Clemson over Ohio State
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.