Posted: 2:11 pm Wednesday, February 19th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
One of Auburn’s top football recruits has been reportedly cleared two drug-related felony charges but his future status with the Tigers is unknown.
Camden County High School’s Kalvaraz Bessent indicated in a tweet that he expected to enroll at Auburn this summer. On Tuesday, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said he has not made a final decision.
“Nothing has changed,” Malzhan told al.com. “We’re still gathering information, and once I make a decision, I’ll let you know.”
Even though Bessent has had his felony charges dismissed, there are still other issues. As al.com’s Kevin Scarbinsky explained, “Why was he one of four people in a car that contained bags of marijuana, a scale and a loaded handgun? Was it as simple as a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time?”
NEW GEORGIA 5-STAR
Rivals.com released it’s new rankings, and safety Rashad Roundtree has been bumped up to a 5-star. He’s the safety from Lakeside-Evans who has 30+ offers, including UGA and Georgia Tech. Roundtree’s father is the sheriff in Augusta. Wrote Rivals.com’s Woody Wommack: “Roundtree came from off the radar to five-star status in just a matter of months. Players like him are what make doing the job fun, because it just shows that there are still hidden gems out there. Roundtree gained traction with a strong showing at the Elite Junior Classic practices and game and it only takes one look at his film to realize he’s a special talent at safety. He’s physical and hits like a ton of bricks, but has the speed to cover as well. His star is still on the rise and I’m excited to see him match up with the best during the upcoming camp season.” Roundtree (No. 17 overall by Rivals) isn’t ranked as high by the other recruiting services, but that could change in the future. Personally, I like it because I get tired of seeing the same kids ranked in the top 50 by all the recruiting services. It’s good to see vastly different opinions. Note: The other Georgia 5-stars are North Gwinnett offensive tackle Mitch Hyatt and Westover defensive tackle Trenton Thompson.
GEORGIA LB ON RISE
Another guy who bumped up significantly (from non-ranked to No. 77 nationally) was Macon County outside linebacker Roquan Smith. Wrote Rivals.com: “Smith is a guy who really jumps out when you watch him on film, mainly because of his long, lengthy frame. He’s a guy who’s just as good in the coverage game as well as he is against the run, making him the ideal linebacker to contend with spread offenses. He’s still going to need to bulk up a little, but with his range, he’s only going to get better as he continues to develop.” Smith recently made unofficial visits to both UGA and Georgia Tech.
WHO IS NO. 1?
The release of the new Rivals rankings, of course, impacted the 247sports.com composite rankings – which combines the rankings of 247, ESPN, Scout and Rivals. And the nation’s new No. 1 prospect is defensive tackle Trenton Thompson of Westover High School. He’s uncommitted, but has mentioned UGA as his leader since last year.
LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- Georgia’s newest 5-star on his Twitter exchanges with Mark Richt
- Atlanta DB “not committed” to Tennessee after “miscommunication”
- Did UGA recruit too well at RB? Nation’s No. 1 for 2015 gives candid answer
- Lifelong UGA fan waits for offer from Bulldogs … is it too late?
- Could Alvin Kamara come back to SEC to play against his former team, Alabama?
- What would it take for state’s No. 1 WR to flip from Tennessee? Since you asked …
- UGA FLIPS South Carolina commit on Junior Day
POST-SIGNING DAY NEWS
- Drug felony charges to be dropped against top Auburn football recruit
- High marks for Ole Miss with post-Nkemdiche recruiting
- FINAL LOOK at UGA’s 2014 class: Signees, late additions and close calls
- Does Mark Richt take it personally when a kid flips from UGA?
- Candid Q&A with Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson
- Top OL names UGA in his top 3
AND THERE’S MORE
- Steve Spurrier defies old age on the recruiting trail … the Ageless Ball Coach?
- The UGLY aftermath of an Auburn-Alabama recruiting war
- Which are out-of-state schools are raiding Georgia for elite talent?
- Rodney Garner overcomes “negative recruiting” to flip kid from UGA to Auburn
- This year’s best story from National Signing Day
- Georgia’s No. 1 prospect for 2015 commits to Clemson over Ohio State
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.