Shortly after 5-star Rashad Roundtree heard the news that UGA safety Josh Harvey-Clemons had been dismissed from the team on Tuesday, Roundtree said he got a Twitter direct message from Bulldogs coach Mark Richt.
“He said the safety spot is wide open for anybody take it,” Roundtree told the AJC. “Coach Richt said that’s the role he wants me to play, and I could fill those shoes.”
It wasn’t the first time that Richt had reached out directly to Roundtree after there was some big news out of UGA – which goes to show how much of a priority that the junior from Lakeside-Evans High School is for the Bulldogs. Shorty after UGA hired a new defensive coordinator, Roundtree also got a DM from Richt.
“Coach Richt let me know about (Jeremy Pruitt), and he asked me how I felt about it,” Roundtree said. “I thought it was a great move.
“Talking to Coach Richt almost on a daily basis is pretty cool. It’s a huge honor, especially with it being Mark Richt, the head coach of the University of Georgia. You can’t get better than that.”
Roundtree also talked to Auburn’s Gus Malzhan over the phone this week. The Tigers have extended a scholarship offer.
“He (Malzhan) really liked my film,” Roundtree said. “He was talking about how explosive I was and how I remind him of some other key players. It meant a lot to me knowing that he personally looked my film and could tell me how they wanted to use me.”
In the above video, Roundtree breaks down his favorite schools, and gives reasons why he likes UGA, Alabama, Florida State and Ohio State.
- What does he like about UGA?
- What does he like about Alabama?
- When will he commit?
Also this week, Roundtree was bumped up to a 5-star by Rivals.com – one of three Georgia players receiving that honor, along with Westover defensive tackle Trenton Thompson and North Gwinnett offensive lineman Mitch Hyatt.
Here’s video of Roundtree shrugging 225 pounds like he’s Popeye …
LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- Georgia’s newest 5-star on his Twitter exchanges with Mark Richt
- Atlanta DB “not committed” to Tennessee after “miscommunication”
- Did UGA recruit too well at RB? Nation’s No. 1 for 2015 gives candid answer
- Lifelong UGA fan waits for offer from Bulldogs … is it too late?
- Could Alvin Kamara come back to SEC to play against his former team, Alabama?
- What would it take for state’s No. 1 WR to flip from Tennessee? Since you asked …
- UGA FLIPS South Carolina commit on Junior Day
POST-SIGNING DAY NEWS
- Drug felony charges to be dropped against top Auburn football recruit
- High marks for Ole Miss with post-Nkemdiche recruiting
- FINAL LOOK at UGA’s 2014 class: Signees, late additions and close calls
- Does Mark Richt take it personally when a kid flips from UGA?
- Candid Q&A with Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson
- Top OL names UGA in his top 3
AND THERE’S MORE
- Steve Spurrier defies old age on the recruiting trail … the Ageless Ball Coach?
- The UGLY aftermath of an Auburn-Alabama recruiting war
- Which are out-of-state schools are raiding Georgia for elite talent?
- Rodney Garner overcomes “negative recruiting” to flip kid from UGA to Auburn
- This year’s best story from National Signing Day
- Georgia’s No. 1 prospect for 2015 commits to Clemson over Ohio State
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.