Dante Sawyer, the only member of South Carolina’s 2014 class from in the Rivals 100 rankings, will not play for the Gamecocks next season.
The 4-star defensive end has gotten his GED and will enroll this week at East Mississippi junior college, according to TheBigSpur.com’s Wes Mitchell.
Sawyer had a roller-coaster ride in recruiting: Last spring, he was going to announce between Alabama and UGA, but then both schools reportedly wanted to evaluate him further. Sawyer committed to South Carolina over Missouri in December.
The 6-foot-3, 235-pounder was one of top performers at the Army All-America Bowl, registering three sacks, and instantly turned into one of the state’s hottest prospects. However, Sawyer declined interest from other schools and signed with South Carolina.
It was a surprising but possibly brilliant move by Sawyer to get his GED and leave for junior college this week. By doing that, Sawyer will be able to enroll in classes early and have a shot getting his AA degree (or two-year degree) from junior college by the summer of 2015, rather than having to stay there for two years like most players.
If Sawyer can handle the extra coursework, he will be able to enroll at South Carolina by the fall of 2015 and have four years left to play three seasons.
- Georgia’s newest 5-star on his Twitter exchanges with Mark Richt
- Atlanta DB “not committed” to Tennessee after “miscommunication”
- Did UGA recruit too well at RB? Nation’s No. 1 for 2015 gives candid answer
- Lifelong UGA fan waits for offer from Bulldogs … is it too late?
- What would it take for state’s No. 1 WR to flip from Tennessee? Since you asked …
SOME OF YOUR RECENT FAVORITES
- UGA FLIPS South Carolina commit on Junior Day
- High marks for Ole Miss with post-Nkemdiche recruiting
- Candid Q&A with Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson
- Steve Spurrier defies old age on the recruiting trail … the Ageless Ball Coach?
- The UGLY aftermath of an Auburn-Alabama recruiting war
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.