Georgia Tech’s football program is light years ahead where it was this time last year with a Twitter presence.
Coach Paul Johnson has been a rising star on Twitter in the college ranks sine he began actively tweeting last March. He’s a must-follow, especially with his witty and candid comments (in the offseason) at @GTPaulJohnson
Most of Georgia Tech’s assistants are also on Twitter.
Twitter is arguably the most powerful tool in recruiting, outside of a personal contact, because just about every elite prospect has a Twitter account. Many of them stay on Twitter throughout the day, and are regularly exposed to positive comments (or Tweets) by the college coaches they follow.
Twitter is also rapidly growing in popularity as the way for college coaches and prospects to communicate with each other via Direct Messages.
“It’s a way to get ahold of kids but you could always email them and do that kind of stuff,” Johnson told the AJC. “The correspondence has changed so much that most of the time they’re either calling you or hitting you up on email or stuff like that. I think if you talk to our assistant coaches, they’d tell you that they probably get hit up on Facebook more than anything else.
“But it’s a way of texting with Twitter, with Direct Messages. There’s not a lot of difference between that and texting. It works really good for that.”
- Update on UGA 2015 commit DeVondre Seymour
- Mark Richt on #ThePruittEffect on UGA’s recruiting
- Celebrity recruits show up at UGA
- How does Mark Richt feel about 2015 class so far?
- Q&A with Tennessee coach Butch Jones
- Miami weathers the storm of “negative recruiting”
- Will UGA use “Dream Team” recruiting pitch again?
SOME OF YOUR RECENT FAVORITES
- Mark Richt on why time was right for new UGA Recruiting Coordinator
- Georgia’s newest 5-star on his Twitter exchanges with UGA coach
- Atlanta DB “not committed” to Tennessee after “miscommunication”
- Did UGA recruit too well at RB? Nation’s No. 1 for 2015 gives candid answer
- What would it take for state’s No. 1 WR to flip from Tennessee? Since you asked …
- Steve Spurrier defies old age on the recruiting trail … the Ageless Ball Coach?
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.