Posted: 5:14 pm Monday, March 10th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
An NCAA committee will discuss an early signing period for football this summer.
When we’ve polled SEC and ACC coaches over the last few years about one rule change they’d most like to see to improve recruiting, one of the most popular answers has been an early signing period. Almost all coaches are in favor of some form of it.
However, don’t count on Mark Richt for automatically voting “yes” in favor it.
Here’s what UGA’s coach had to say about an early signing period in a recent interview with the AJC:
“I always say ‘Be careful what we ask for’ because I don’t know what that will do to our recruiting calendar. I think there’s some sanity to it right now. I think if everybody plays by the same rules, then it’s good as it is. I’d be afraid to change it. I don’t want to turn the regular season into such a recruiting frenzy that you can’t even coach your team on a weekly basis. I enjoy coaching football, too.
“I think if you moved the signing date up, I think you push more official visits to the football season. Sooner or later, they’ll say ‘We don’t want all these official visits during the season. Why don’t we move them to the summer?’ Then we’ll have official visits in the summer, and no one will get any time away. Not me, not our assistants coaches, not the kids, not the high school coaches, and not the families. Where does it end?
“I think we’ve got a pretty good setup now. No matter what system you use, there’s going to be some bugs in it, and there’s going to be some things you don’t like about it. That’s why I say ‘Be careful what you ask for” because if you do that, what’s going to be the aftermath? That’s what I’m worried about. I can’t even say what it’s going to be, but I’ve got a feeling it will be like ‘Why in the world did we do that?’”
What’s YOUR opinion? Please post below.
THE LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- How would an early signing period work for college football? Ideas, ideas ideas …
- Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson with candid opinions on an early signing period
- Mark Richt’s strong opinion on an Early Signing Period
- Q&A with Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly
- South Georgia is “recruiting priority” for national champs — FSU
WHEN DOES FOOTBALL SEASON START?
- Update on UGA 2015 commit DeVondre Seymour
- Mark Richt on #ThePruittEffect on UGA’s recruiting
- How does Mark Richt feel about 2015 class so far?
- Miami weathers the storm of “negative recruiting”
- Will UGA use “Dream Team” recruiting pitch again?
SOME OF YOUR RECENT FAVORITES
- Mark Richt on why time was right for new UGA Recruiting Coordinator
- Georgia’s newest 5-star on his Twitter exchanges with UGA coach
- Atlanta DB “not committed” to Tennessee after “miscommunication”
- Did UGA recruit too well at RB? Nation’s No. 1 for 2015 gives candid answer
- What would it take for state’s No. 1 WR to flip from Tennessee? Since you asked …
- Steve Spurrier defies old age on the recruiting trail … the Ageless Ball Coach?
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.