Posted: 1:53 pm Monday, March 17th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
After thinking about it for a month, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has decided to let one of his top recruits, Camden County High School’s Kalvaraz Bessent, join the team this season after the 4-star cornerback was cleared of drug felony charges.
“Kalvaraz will be coming in,” Malzahn told reporters on Monday. “He will be a probationary status when he gets here, but he will be coming in with the other signees.”
Malzahn did not disclose any details of the probationary status.
Three days after signing with Auburn last month, Bessent was arrested at a traffic stop and charged with three others in the car with two counts of possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
According to al.com, Bessent “was cleared of all charges after the 16-year-old passenger of the car claimed ownership of the vehicle and told police the marijuana and handgun found in the car belonged to the other two passengers: Elbert Thornton, 21, and Artez Ward, 19, of Jacksonville.”
After Bessent was cleared last month, Auburn’s coach declined to comment on the player’s status, saying he was in the process of gathering more information. Al.com columnist Kevin Scarbinsky wrote at the time “… there is still one major unanswered question, at least publicly, about his situation. Why was he one of four people in a car that contained bags of marijuana, a scale and a loaded handgun? Was it as simple as a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time?”
Bessent was one of five Georgia high school football players picked to play in January’s Under Armour All-America game, and he is expected to be an immediate contributor for playing time at Auburn.
Thanks to my Head coach Guz and my whole AU family for trusting and believing in me I will enroll in the summer!!!!! Grind Mode!!!💯🏈🏈—
kalvaraz bessent (@kalvarexbessent) March 17, 2014
THE LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- Georgia DB cleared to play for Auburn on “probationary status”
- SEC appeals new NCAA recruiting rule
- Auburn’s “package deal” for top Atlanta football recruits??
- Emerging Georgia OL gets LSU offer
DID YOU SEE THIS?
- How would an early signing period work for college football? Ideas, ideas ideas …
- Mark Richt: “Be Careful What We Ask For”
- Q&A with Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly
- South Georgia is “recruiting priority” for national champs — FSU
SOME OF YOUR RECENT FAVORITES
- Miami weathers the storm of “negative recruiting”
- Will UGA use “Dream Team” recruiting pitch again?
- Atlanta DB “not committed” to Tennessee after “miscommunication”
- Steve Spurrier defies old age on the recruiting trail … the Ageless Ball Coach?
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.