Alvin Kamara, who signed with Alabama over UGA last year, says he is now considering the Bulldogs again.
The AJC’s Mr. Football for 2012 enrolled at Hutchinson junior college after leaving Alabama after only one semester. The former Norcross High School running back has been in recent contact with UGA and Tennessee, among others.
Kamara broke his silence in an interview with 247sports.com’s Rusty Mansell:
“That is who it was in high school: It was Alabama and Georgia,” Kamara said. “When I committed to Alabama, people were saying that I turned my back on Georgia, but I did talk to Coach (Bryan) McClendon like two weeks ago. He pretty much just told me that they want to recruit me. They want to see if they can get me there this time. He told me nothing has really changed on their part.”
UGA’s 2014 recruiting class was highlighted by the signing of 5-star defensive end Lorenzo Carter. Carter and Kamara were teammates for the 2012 season at Norcross.
“Georgia is the hometown school,” Kamara said. “All my boys go there … I feel like I have an opportunity to play at Georgia. I just have to see how it goes.”
Kamara had a brief but rough experience at Alabama. He had minor knee surgery before last season and never appeared in a game. He was suspended at least twice for what Alabama coach Nick Saban called “behavior reasons.”
Kamara told 247sports.com that he never hit it off with Alabama running backs coach Burton Burns.
“There are no hard feelings with me and Alabama,” Kamara said. “A lot of people had a negative perception on me because I was not playing. People were saying I was a cancer to the team, I was a crybaby, I was not playing so I was not all-in, this and that. Really, with me not playing it kind of gave me a way to look at it from a different perspective. Not playing made me sit back and think about, ‘You really have to work for this.’ It kind of humbled me.”
Kamara will play for Hutchinson next season, and be eligible to sign with a four-year school next January. He will have three seasons of eligibility remaining, beginning in 2015.
THE LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- 3-star DT commits to UGA over Clemson
- Urban Meyer reflects on baseball career with Atlanta Braves
- The one recruiting rule almost all coaches support
- Georgia DB cleared to play for Auburn on “probationary status”
- SEC appeals new NCAA recruiting rule
- Auburn’s “package deal” for top Atlanta football recruits??
- Emerging Georgia OL gets LSU offer
DID YOU SEE THIS?
- How would an early signing period work for college football? Ideas, ideas ideas …
- Mark Richt: “Be Careful What We Ask For”
- Q&A with Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly
- South Georgia is “recruiting priority” for national champs — FSU
SOME OF YOUR RECENT FAVORITES
- Miami weathers the storm of “negative recruiting”
- Will UGA use “Dream Team” recruiting pitch again?
- Atlanta DB “not committed” to Tennessee after “miscommunication”
- Steve Spurrier defies old age on the recruiting trail … the Ageless Ball Coach?
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.