Posted: 9:27 pm Saturday, March 22nd, 2014
By Michael Carvell
UGA continues to make in-roads for recruiting in Gwinnett County, which is considered to be “the SEC for high school football in Georgia.”
Justin Young, a 3-star defensive tackle from Grayson High School, committed to UGA over Clemson. Young, who is commit No. 6 for the Bulldogs for 2015, also had an early offer from Marshall.
“Ain’t nothing like playing for the hometown team,” Young told the AJC. “I grew up a Georgia fan, and I’ve always loved Georgia. They have great players, great coaches, great facilities and they actually care about the players for more than football. They actually care about you, and your family. My family loves Georgia, and I love Georgia, too.”
The 6-foot-3, 255-pounder committed to UGA on Saturday after visiting with the team for spring practice. He was recruited to the Bulldogs by new defensive line coach Tracy Rocker. Young, who is ranked as the state’s No. 75 overall prospect by 247sports, said he will play defensive end at UGA.
“I sat down and talked to Coach Rocker and I said, ‘Coach, I’m ready to make a commitment, and I’m going to commit to Georgia,’” Young said. “And he was all excited. Then another coach said that Coach Richt wanted to speak to me. I went up to his office and told him the same thing. He got a big smile on his face, and he shook my hand. He shook the hands of my dad, my uncle, my brother and the other people that were up there today. It was really exciting.”
Gwinnett County might be the state’s top county for producing elite prospects, including Grayson’s Robert Nkemdiche (signed with Ole Miss), Buford’s Dillon Lee (Alabama), North Gwinnett’s Ja’Waun James (Tennessee), Buford’s Korie Rogers (Clemson), Alvin Kamara (Alabama) of Norcross, Buford’s Vadal Alexander (LSU) and North Gwinnett’s Mitch Hyatt (committed to Clemson).
Last month, UGA finally had some luck at Norcross, landing the state’s No. 1 prospect for 2014 – defensive end Lorenzo Carter.
In the same class, UGA also signed a former Grayson standout, defensive back Shattle Fenteng of Hutchinson junior college.
Grayson coach Mickey Conn told the AJC last year that Justin Young was “as good as anybody we’ve ever had,” including Nkemdiche, Georgia’s first-ever No. 1 prospect in the nation.
‘’From what I’ve seen this spring in comparing him to Robert, he’s going to be able to stuff those double teams better, which is something we struggled with across the defensive line last year,’’ Conn said. “He can hold a double team and have the speed to rip loose and get into the backfield.’’
Young said it was an easy decision to commit early to UGA. He got an offer from the Bulldogs around a month ago, and had also visited Clemson and Auburn. “Georgia coaches wanted me to go around and look at another schools before I committed,” Young said. “That was another reason why I liked Georgia. They gave me the opportunity to go see other colleges. Some of these schools, they’ll take their offer away if you look around anywhere. I was like ‘Wow. Georgia might be the one.’ And that’s probably why I made the commitment today.”
AJC’S COVERAGE FROM NIKE CAMP
- UGA makes charge for one of Alabama’s top commits (he visited UGA Thursday)
- Too late for UGA with LB Adonis Thomas?
- New UGA commit Chauncey Rivers shines at Nike camp
- 4-star RB Eric Swinney talks about his top five: UGA, FSU, Auburn, Ole Miss and Tennessee
- Georgia DE is longtime Alabama commit but still looking around
- Georgia’s top prospect for 2016??
- Get used to hearing this name –Ben Cleveland, UGA 2016 target
- 5-star Mitch Hyatt reflects on committing early to Clemson
THE LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- 3-star DT commits to UGA over Clemson
- Urban Meyer reflects on baseball career with Atlanta Braves
- The one recruiting rule almost all coaches support
- Georgia DB cleared to play for Auburn on “probationary status”
- SEC appeals new NCAA recruiting rule
- Auburn’s “package deal” for top Atlanta football recruits??
- Emerging Georgia OL gets LSU offer
DID YOU SEE THIS?
- How would an early signing period work for college football? Ideas, ideas ideas …
- Mark Richt: “Be Careful What We Ask For”
- Q&A with Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly
- South Georgia is “recruiting priority” for national champs — FSU
SOME OF YOUR RECENT FAVORITES
- Miami weathers the storm of “negative recruiting”
- Will UGA use “Dream Team” recruiting pitch again?
- Atlanta DB “not committed” to Tennessee after “miscommunication”
- Steve Spurrier defies old age on the recruiting trail … the Ageless Ball Coach?
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.