If you’re a high school junior who is already rated as a 5-star and you don’t want to draw a lot of attention to yourself, the best time to commit is on signing day during your junior year – when the media is still focused on the seniors.
That was the strategy of North Gwinnett High School offensive lineman Mitch Hyatt, who committed to Clemson under the radar last month. Hyatt was ranked as the state’s No. 1 prospect for 2015 (but has since been passed by Westover High School defensive tackle Trent Thompson).
Even though his college future is secure, Hyatt still showed up at Sunday’s Nike camp to compete against some of the state’s top offensive linemen (McEachern High School’s Chuma Edoga and Mays High School’s Dallas Warmack were the offensive linemen invited to this summer’s Nike Opening).
- How does Hyatt reflect on his decision to commit early?
- Has Hyatt’s recruiting died down?
- Have any other college contacted Hyatt since he pledged to Clemson?
Hyatt talks about that and more in the above video.
AJC’S COVERAGE FROM NIKE CAMP
- UGA makes charge for one of Alabama’s top commits (he visited UGA Thursday)
- Too late for UGA with LB Adonis Thomas?
- New UGA commit Chauncey Rivers shines at Nike camp
- 4-star RB Eric Swinney talks about his top five: UGA, FSU, Auburn, Ole Miss and Tennessee
- Georgia DE is longtime Alabama commit but still looking around
- Georgia’s top prospect for 2016??
- Get used to hearing this name –Ben Cleveland, UGA 2016 target
- 5-star Mitch Hyatt reflects on committing early to Clemson
THE LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- 3-star DT commits to UGA over Clemson
- Urban Meyer reflects on baseball career with Atlanta Braves
- The one recruiting rule almost all coaches support
- Georgia DB cleared to play for Auburn on “probationary status”
- SEC appeals new NCAA recruiting rule
- Auburn’s “package deal” for top Atlanta football recruits??
- Emerging Georgia OL gets LSU offer
DID YOU SEE THIS?
- How would an early signing period work for college football? Ideas, ideas ideas …
- Mark Richt: “Be Careful What We Ask For”
- Q&A with Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly
- South Georgia is “recruiting priority” for national champs — FSU
SOME OF YOUR RECENT FAVORITES
- Miami weathers the storm of “negative recruiting”
- Will UGA use “Dream Team” recruiting pitch again?
- Atlanta DB “not committed” to Tennessee after “miscommunication”
- Steve Spurrier defies old age on the recruiting trail … the Ageless Ball Coach?
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.