Posted: 11:53 pm Monday, March 24th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
There might not be another Georgia prospect in the state’s 2015 class that has a colorful personality like Preston Williams, the 5-star wide receiver from Lovejoy High School.
There might also not be another kid with as much football talent.
If I had to pick who I thought was the state’s No. 1 prospect right now, I’d go with Williams – in a landslide. I’ve watched all the top candidates.
He has a rare combination of size (6-foot-5), speed, foot quickness, play-making ability, and athleticism at wide receiver that I haven’t seen in Georgia since Da’ Rick Rogers was the state’s No. 1 overall prospect in 2010.
You know how we talk about most of these top prospects as having a “high ceiling of potential”? Well, that’s true with Williams, too. But he’s also getting it done right now in high school. He caught four touchdown passes in a playoff game this season.
Back to Da’Rick Rogers, who committed early to UGA but flipped and signed with Tennessee. Preston Williams committed early to Tennessee. Guess which school is closing in?
Williams told the AJC he’s “100 percent” with Tennessee but added “Georgia is right behind them.”
UGA gained favor with Williams after a recent visit with the Bulldogs. “Georgia looked old, kinda country, and boring, but actually it was great. Coach Ball is good people.”
Last month, Williams hinted that a school could gain favor with him if it evaluated his girlfriend for a track scholarship. Well there’s some new news there: He’ll explain that and so much more in the video.
AJC’S COVERAGE FROM NIKE CAMP
- How solid is UGA legacy’s commit to Georgia Tech?
- What are UGA’s chances with state’s No. 1 RB?
- Can UGA catch frontrunner Tennessee for to Georgia OL Chuma Edoga?
- UGA gains favor for my pick for the state’s No. 1 prospect, WR Preston Williams
- Should UGA have any worries with 5-star commit Terry Godwin? Well …
- UGA makes charge for one of Alabama’s top commits (he visited UGA Thursday)
- Too late for UGA with LB Adonis Thomas?
- New UGA commit Chauncey Rivers shines at Nike camp
- 4-star RB Eric Swinney talks about his top five: UGA, FSU, Auburn, Ole Miss and Tennessee
- Georgia DE is longtime Alabama commit but still looking around
- Georgia’s top prospect for 2016??
- Get used to hearing this name –Ben Cleveland, UGA 2016 target
- 5-star Mitch Hyatt reflects on committing early to Clemson
- Latest from top Georgia Tech target from Atlanta
SO MUCH INFO AT ONE TIME
- Ex-UGA DB Nick Marshall “is no doubt” an NFL QB prospect, says Auburn coach
- Smack talk after showdown between top recruits from UGA and Clemson
THE LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- 3-star DT commits to UGA over Clemson
- Urban Meyer reflects on baseball career with Atlanta Braves
- The one recruiting rule almost all coaches support
- Mark Richt: “Be Careful What We Ask For”
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.