Posted: 11:29 pm Monday, March 24th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
- UPDATE: Video of one of the reps between Chauncey Rivers vs. Mitch Hyatt was posted by 247sports.com’s JC Shurburtt on YouTube (see bottom of page).
There has been a lot of smack talk on Twitter after a showdown between top football recruits from UGA and Clemson at Sunday’s Nike camp in Atlanta.
Mitch Hyatt is a 5-star offensive tackle from North Gwinnett High School who committed to Clemson last month. Hyatt was ranked as the state’s No. 1 overall prospect before being passed last month by Westover High School defensive tackle Trent Thompson.
Chauncey Rivers is a 4-star defensive end from Stephenson High School who recently switched his commitment from South Carolina to UGA.
On Sunday at Lassiter High School, Hyatt and Rivers were among the best collection of high school talent I’ve ever seen assembled on one football field in the state of Georgia.
Why was Hyatt there? I assume only to try to earn an invitation to Nike’s The Opening all-star competition in Oregon this summer because he really had nothing to prove. He’s already committed to a college, and he can’t get much higher in the rankings (Thompson, not surprisingly, did not participate).
With his lofty ranking, Hyatt naturally carries a bull’s eye on his back, much in the same way as a Robert Nkemdiche or Lorenzo Carter. That’s just part of the deal. And when you get beat on a play (which is guaranteed to happen out of 75 snaps in a real game or during 20-30 reps during combine), that play will get greatly magnified. The same thing happened in Hyatt’s favor when he played against Nkemdiche and Carter.
So on Sunday, Hyatt was matched up against a lot of different defenders in one-on-one drills but got put up against Rivers in two battles at the very end when many recruiting analysts were watching. I didn’t see the matchup (I was on another field) but based on media accounts, Rivers was declared the winner of those two matchups.
— Radi Nabulsi (@RadiNabulsi) March 24, 2014
And that’s when things got interesting on Twitter with UGA fans, Clemson fans, other recruits from both schools — and you name it — chiming in (For the record, Hyatt hasn’t responded or Tweeted anything about Nike camp).
FYI: UGA and Clemson play on Aug. 30 in the season-opener for both teams.
— Dashawn Bryant (@ShawnTeflon) March 24, 2014
— steven shaw (@clemsonfan24) March 24, 2014
The best news of the night on Chauncey Rivers vs. Mitch Hyatt? Round 2 this Saturday at #RivalsCamp at Marist High, ATL. A slobberknocker?
— Jake Reuse (@ReuseRecruiting) March 24, 2014
Rivers later deleted his tweets about Hyatt, saying this:
I just like competition 💯 we got the best athletes in GA 👌
— Chauncey Rivers (@Rivers_Cinco) March 24, 2014
Finally, Rivers and Hyatt could have a rematch as early as this Saturday. Both recruits are signed up for the Rivals.com Challenge at Marist high school. I would say there’s a 100-percent chance they’ll be matched up again (if they both show up). And for what it’s worth, the last time I can remember a camp battle in Georgia getting this much hype was Jordan Jenkins vs. John Theus at UGA summer camp in 2011.
Update: The rivalry between Rivers and Hyatt apparently dates back to a scrimmage between Stephenson and North Gwinnett last summer. Paul Strelow, the reporter for Clemson’s Rivals website, wrote: “Hyatt clearly got the better of the match-up, as witnessed by several recruiting analysts and reporters, yours included.”
AJC’S COVERAGE FROM NIKE CAMP
- Can UGA catch frontrunner Tennessee for to Georgia OL Chuma Edoga?
- UGA gains favor for my pick for the state’s No. 1 prospect, WR Preston Williams
- Should UGA have any worries with 5-star commit Terry Godwin? Well …
- UGA makes charge for one of Alabama’s top commits (he visited UGA Thursday)
- Too late for UGA with LB Adonis Thomas?
- New UGA commit Chauncey Rivers shines at Nike camp
- 4-star RB Eric Swinney talks about his top five: UGA, FSU, Auburn, Ole Miss and Tennessee
- Georgia DE is longtime Alabama commit but still looking around
- Georgia’s top prospect for 2016??
- Get used to hearing this name –Ben Cleveland, UGA 2016 target
- 5-star Mitch Hyatt reflects on committing early to Clemson
SO MUCH INFO AT ONE TIME
- Q&A with Auburn’s Gus Malzahn: Ex-UGA DB Nick Marshall “is no doubt” an NFL QB prospect
- Smack talk after showdown between top recruits from UGA and Clemson
THE LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- 3-star DT commits to UGA over Clemson
- Urban Meyer reflects on baseball career with Atlanta Braves
- The one recruiting rule almost all coaches support
- Mark Richt: “Be Careful What We Ask For”
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.