One of the nation’s top college basketball prospects told the AJC that he wants to chat with Marquette’s new coach before deciding whether or not to request a release from his letter of intent.
“I’m going to wait until I talk to the coach before I think about anything,” said Ahmed Hill, a 4-star shooting guard from Augusta who is ranked as the state’s No. 2 overall prospect.
“My family told me (after that conversation takes place), I need to go ahead and do whatever I decide to do … to just go ahead and do it. My family said they will support me with whatever I do.”
One of the main reasons that the 6-foot-5, 190-pound Hill signed last November with Marquette over 20 other schools, including UGA, Georgia Tech and Missouri, was the presence of coach Buzz Williams, who recently left for a similar job at Virginia Tech.
“It was pretty crazy that he left,” Hill said. “Coach Williams was a big reason why I signed with Marquette. I liked his coaching style, and the way he won.”
This week, Marquette announced Steve Wojciechowski, the longtime Duke assistant who has no head coaching experience, as the new coach. Hill is anxious to see how he fits into the new coach’s plans.
“I really haven’t talked to Coach Wojo much, so I don’t have an opinion of him yet,” Hill said. “We’re supposed to talk this weekend.
“I just want to talk to him on the phone, see what kind of person he is really, and see what he talks about. I will probably stay with Marquette unless I hear something I don’t like.”
A coaching change is one of the few negatives for an elite prospect opting to sign in basketball’s early period. In 2010, the AJC’s Mr. Basketball, Westlake High School’s Marcus Thornton, signed early with Clemson but was granted a release after a coaching change. Thornton ended up picking UGA over Alabama, Georgia Tech, and Texas at the end of the spring.
Here’s where Georgia top 10 prospects are going to college:
- JaKeenan Gant, PF, Effingham County, Missouri
- Ahmed Hill, SG, Aquinas, Marquette
- Tadric Jackson, PG, Tift County, Georgia Tech
- Devin Mitchell, SG, Collins Hill, Alabama
- Phillip Cofer, PF, Whitewater, Tennessee
- Keith Pinckney, PG, Miller Grove, Tulane
- CJ Turman, PF, Morgan County, Tennessee
- TeMarcus Blanton, SF, Luella, South Carolina
- Isaiah Wilkins, SF, GAC, Virginia
- Elijah Staley, PF, Wheeler, Mississippi State
- UGA makes rare football offer to HS freshman
- Mark Richt has fun with ESPN tweet
- Pack of all-star QBs visit UGA
- 5 reasons Georgia Tech has a chance to sign nation’s No. 1 football recruit
- Which UGA hand-drawn portrait of recruits is the best?
- Auburn coach Guz Malzahn reviews the arrest of another Auburn recruit
- How does new UGA recruiting coordinator feel about 2015 class so far?
DID YOU SEE THIS?
- How does new UGA recruiting coordinator feel about 2015 start?
- 5 things to know about Georgia Tech’s QB of the future
- LSU’s Les Miles explains his recruiting of middle schoolers
- Ex-UGA DB Nick Marshall “is no doubt” an NFL QB prospect, says Auburn coach
SOME OF YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITES
- Smack talk after showdown between top recruits from UGA and Clemson
- Urban Meyer reflects on baseball career with Atlanta Braves
- The one recruiting rule almost all coaches support
- Mark Richt: “Be Careful What We Ask For”
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.