Auburn is loading up on offensive linemen from the state of Georgia.
Creekside High School’s Marquel Harrell committed to Auburn over Tennessee and Alabama on Monday night, only a couple of days after Sprayberry High School’s Bailey Sharp picked the Tigers over UGA and Clemson.
And Auburn is also the rumored frontrunner for Mill Creek High School’s Kaleb Kim, who will announced between the Tigers and UGA on Thursday.
“Auburn was my top choice because I had been down there four times, and every time I went down there, it stood out more and more,” Harrell said. “It’s a great program and it has great coaches. I was like ‘This is where I want to be.’”
Harrell, who projects to play offensive guard at Auburn, originally committed to Ole Miss last Feburary but backed off the pledge because he “had to refocus on his academics and my teammates.”
The 6-foot-3, 290-pound Harrell kept Ole Miss in the running, at least publicly, but he settled on Auburn over runners-up Tennessee and Alabama.
“I liked Auburn more than Tennessee because it’s a better program with better coaches,” he said. “Coach (J.B.) Grimes has experience into transforming average players into beasts, like Greg Robinson. He’s going to be a first-round pick.
“With Alabama, I just really looked at the depth chart. I know Alabama recruited a lot of offensive linemen last year. And when I got up there, they were still going to be up there. And most of the Auburn offensive linemen will be leaving in the next few years.”
Why did Harrell commit again so early? “I need to start go ahead and recruiting for my class so we can have the best recruiting class for 2015.” Like who? “Some of them Bama boys — Mehki Brown, Dallas Warmack, and Jonathan Ledbetter.” They all played with Harrell at the RisingSeniors.com junior all-star game last December.
Harrell probably has a better chance of recruiting his Creekside teammates, wide receiver Jayson Stanley and offensive lineman Venzell Boulware, to play for Auburn. “Yeah, I’m get to get those guys, too.”
- Auburn is loading up on offensive linemen from the state of Georgia
- Georgia Southern coaches “head butt” Erk Russell statue in recruiting video
- Did UGA pick up commit No. 7 for 2015???
- Atlanta OL and 22 family members commit to Auburn over Clemson & UGA
AND THERE’S MORE
- Auburn’s Gus Malzhan and UGA assistants bump into 5-star … at the Masters
- UGA offers 2 MORE players off GHSA football powerhouse (that’s 4 total)
- UGA’s Mark Fox cites “progress” in recruiting Atlanta … do you agree?
- UGA makes rare football offer to HS freshman
SOME OF YOUR FAVORITES
- Which UGA hand-drawn portrait of recruits is the best?
- LSU’s Les Miles explains his recruiting of middle schoolers
- Urban Meyer reflects on baseball career with Atlanta Braves
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.