One of the nation’s top prospects on the offensive line is headed to California for his college football.
5-star Chuma Edoga committed to USC over UGA, Tennessee and Stanford via Twitter on Monday night.
Edoga made an unofficial visit to USC over his spring break, and briefly said the Trojans were his leader before saying all schools were equal before Monday’s announcement.
It was a gigantic recruiting victory for USC in the state of Georgia. The Trojans were helped out by some family connections.
“I know he does have some connections to family in LA,” McEachern coach Kyle Hockman told the AJC. “His father passed away last January, and his father’s sister lives out in the area. So I think that has something to do with it, at least with the original connection. I don’t know the particulars. He felt good about several different places, and his mom has been involved. She has given her blessing to USC.”
The 6-foot-4, 280-pound Edoga is one of the four consensus 5-star prospects for Georgia’s 2015 class, per the 247sports composite rankings.
“He’s best offensive lineman that I’ve coached at his age,” Hockman said. “We have several playing at BCS schools now.
“Chuma is a big athlete, there’s no question about that. For his size, he’s very, very nimble. He looks like a big ballerina sometimes. He can run, and he’s physical, too. He’s a bright young man with a 1,200 SAT and a great GPA. He’s an all-around guy and will be a great asset at USC.”
Edoga told the AJC that despite his commitment, he still plans to take all five official visits next fall but that it will be “hard” for any school to change his mind.
- Auburn is loading up on offensive linemen from the state of Georgia
- Georgia Southern coaches “head butt” Erk Russell statue in recruiting video
- Did UGA pick up commit No. 7 for 2015???
- Atlanta OL and 22 family members commit to Auburn over Clemson & UGA
AND THERE’S MORE
- Auburn’s Gus Malzhan and UGA assistants bump into 5-star … at the Masters
- UGA offers 2 MORE players off GHSA football powerhouse (that’s 4 total)
- UGA’s Mark Fox cites “progress” in recruiting Atlanta … do you agree?
- UGA makes rare football offer to HS freshman
SOME OF YOUR FAVORITES
- Which UGA hand-drawn portrait of recruits is the best?
- LSU’s Les Miles explains his recruiting of middle schoolers
- Urban Meyer reflects on baseball career with Atlanta Braves
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.