Posted: 12:38 am Thursday, April 24th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
- UPDATED: Kim committed to Auburn over UGA on Thursday
Kaleb Kim, who is ranked as the fourth-best offensive linemen in the state of Georgia, will announce between UGA and Auburn at 3 p.m. Thursday.
Here’s the 6-foot-4, 280-pounder from Mill Creek High School on his finalists:
- Auburn: “(Offensive line coach) JB Grimes, he’s an awesome man. Just the facilities there at Auburn, and just everything about it feels great. They have a nice atmosphere. Not to say UGA doesn’t, because UGA is nice, too. UGA is really close to home, which is huge.”
- UGA: “The big thing with Georgia is stay home and play for the home-state team. It’s just 45 minutes from home, and that’s huge. Georgia is a great program, and a program that will always be good, in my opinion. Both are great options. You can’t go wrong with either one of them.”
Kim said he’s visited both of his finalists about the same amount of times. He knew where he wanted to go to college after visiting UGA on April 2. Kim attended Auburn’s spring game last weekend.
“Yes, I was ready after that trip to Georgia,” he said. “That’s when I decided I was ready to finish everything up. I’ve made peace with my choice. And I’m at ease with my decision. I’m really happy with it, so I feel like I made the right decision.”
What is the most important factor in Kim’s final decision? “That’s a tough question,” he said. “I’ve gone off of the ‘feel’ that I get from that college. It’s what feels the best or what feels right to me. That might not be a great answer. But I’ve gotten a different feel at both schools, and the one I feel the best about is the one I will be committing to.”
If Kim commits to UGA, it will help the Bulldogs regain some badly needed momentum among the state’s elite offensive linemen. It’s one of Georgia’s best crops of offensive linemen in years, and No. 1 Mitch Hyatt (committed to Clemson), No. 2 Chuma Edoga (USC) and No. 3 Dallas Warmack (Alabama) are each headed out of state.
If Kim commits to Auburn, he will be the state’s third offensive lineman who has committed to the Tigers this week. Sprayberry High School’s Bailey Sharp (and 22 of his family members) pledged to Auburn over UGA and Clemson on Saturday, followed by Creekside High School’s Marquel Harrell committing to Auburn over Tennessee and Alabama on Monday.
Kim is good friends with Sharp, and was asked if that commitment would help Auburn with his decision. “Bailey is an awesome dude. I didn’t get a chance to talk to him before Auburn’s spring game. But yes, Morgan and I get along very well. He’s a great kid.”
And how will Harrell’s commitment affect things? “To be completely honest with you, I don’t know who that is. I don’t think who will be there will affect my decision too much. Because regardless, I will make new friends.”
Kim said once he commits on Thursday, his decision is final. “I’m not going to be doing (visits to other schools). Once I commit, I’m sticking to my word. There will be no de-committing. There will just be my decision, and that decision is final.”
Kim was projected to go to Auburn by 75 percent of the recruiting experts in the 247sports Crystal Ball predictions at midnight on Wednesday.
- Georgia’s elite offensive linemen headed for the border?
- Nation’s No. 1 APB commits to Oregon over Clemson, Ohio St. & UGA
- Auburn is loading up on offensive linemen from the state of Georgia
- Georgia Southern coaches “head butt” Erk Russell statue in recruiting video
- Did UGA pick up commit No. 7 for 2015???
- Atlanta OL and 22 family members commit to Auburn over Clemson & UGA
AND THERE’S MORE
- Auburn’s Gus Malzhan and UGA assistants bump into 5-star … at the Masters
- UGA offers 2 MORE players off GHSA football powerhouse (that’s 4 total)
- UGA’s Mark Fox cites “progress” in recruiting Atlanta … do you agree?
- UGA makes rare football offer to HS freshman
SOME OF YOUR FAVORITES
- Which UGA hand-drawn portrait of recruits is the best?
- LSU’s Les Miles explains his recruiting of middle schoolers
- Urban Meyer reflects on baseball career with Atlanta Braves
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.