Jordan Colbert, the state’s No. 18 overall prospect, committed to Auburn over Clemson and UGA on Saturday.
The 6-foot-2, 200-pounder from Griffin High School can play multiple positions in college, including safety, outside linebacker and H-back.
“Auburn was my choice just because of the family atmosphere, and how comfortable my family is there,” Colbert told the AJC.
Colbert, who projects to play the star position at Auburn, fell in love with the SEC West school after visiting there around 10 times within the last year.
It was a big turn of events in Auburn’s favor because Colbert grew up as a UGA fan and has Bulldogs memorabilia in his bedroom.
But Auburn gained inside position when they extended an early offer in January and made him a top recruiting priority. The Tigers sold him on being one of the top five overall defensive targets on their 2015 board.
Colbert, who is being recruited by UGA as an outside linebacker, finally got an offer from the Bulldogs last week.
“I can understand why UGA waited longer than other schools to offer me because of my (previous comments) in articles,” Colbert said. “I had said that ‘Nine times out of 10, I was going to commit to Georgia if I got an offer.’
“Yes sir, if Georgia had offered earlier, I would’ve gone about the whole situation differently with them. A lot differently.”
Colbert’s commitment to Auburn might have an impact on one of his Griffin teammates, wide receiver Christian Owens, who is pledged to UGA.
“He’s my cousin,” Colbert said. “We always talk about playing together in college. He’s committed to Georgia, but he could go somewhere else than Georgia. He said he’s still open.”
However, UGA may still have a chance for Colbert. Despite Saturday’s announcement for Auburn, he still plans to visit other colleges.
“I’m still going to be open to seeing other schools,” he said. “I’m still going to take visits. As of right now, my mind is made up for Auburn. It could always change, but it would take a lot because Auburn makes me feel like family.”
- Recruiting Rewind: UGA’s Lorenzo Carter almost went to LSU
- Jordan Colbert commits to Auburn over Clemson, FSU and UGA
- Georgia’s elite offensive linemen headed for the border?
- Nation’s No. 1 APB commits to Oregon over Clemson, Ohio St. & UGA
- Auburn is loading up on offensive linemen from the state of Georgia
SOME OF YOUR FAVORITES
- Auburn’s Gus Malzhan and UGA assistants bump into 5-star … at the Masters
- Which UGA hand-drawn portrait of recruits is the best?
- LSU’s Les Miles explains his recruiting of middle schoolers
- Urban Meyer reflects on baseball career with Atlanta Braves
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.