Georgia Tech and UGA are possible destinations for Maryland transfer Charles Mitchell, the former basketball star from Wheeler High School.
The 6-foot-7 forward is the fifth player to transfer from Maryland since the end of the season.
Mitchell has a top five of Georgia Tech, UGA, Auburn, Alabama and the College of Charleston, according to InsideMDSports.com’s Jeff Ermann.
The website, citing an unnamed source, also said Mitchell hasn’t set up any visits yet, but is most seriously considering Georgia Tech, UGA and Auburn.
Both Georgia Tech and UGA have at least one more spot available to add a player to its recruiting class for this season.
Mitchell, who averaged 6.5 points and 6.3 rebounds this past season, has two years left to play and could avoid sitting out next season due to an NCAA hardship waiver.
“The reason I decided to leave Maryland is to be near my grandmother who has been ill over the past year,” Mitchell said in a Maryland press release. “Knowing that she raised me and is still a very big part of my life, I decided to move closer to home. It’s important for me to be there for my grandmother and to help support my family.
“I didn’t want to leave, but I have to put my family first. I really enjoyed playing with my teammates and I’ve had a lot of great memories over the last two seasons. I’m grateful for the experiences I’ve had and wish Maryland nothing but success in the future.”
- Blame NCAA for unfair restrictions on transfers that are evil, spiteful, and flat-out wrong
- Rewind: Cousin signed with UGA to play with Josh Harvey-Clemons but now …
- Rewind: No. 1 DE admits he would’ve followed Rodney Garner to UGA
SOME OF YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITES
- UGA doesn’t put ANY transfer restrictions on players … wants what is best for student-athletes
- Rewind: Religious beliefs of UGA, Auburn & Clemson coaches made a difference
- Rewind: Bryson Allen-Williams on whirlwind finish with S.C., Bama & UGA
- Rewind: Georgia Tech’s top signee nearly went to FSU but switched at last minute
- Rewind: UGA signee lacked drama for a 5-star but ..
- Rewind: UGA’s Lorenzo Carter nearly signed with LSU
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.