Posted: 8:10 pm Wednesday, May 28th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
UGA is losing one of its top football recruiters.
Daryl Jones is leaving his position as UGA’s Director of On-Campus Recruiting. No reason was given.
“After serving the past two years as Director of On-Campus Recruiting for the Georgia football program,” Jones said in a statement on Wednesday. “I will be pursuing other opportunities going forward, (and) I would like to thank Coach Richt for the opportunity of representing the Bulldawg Nation in that capacity. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Coach Richt and all he stands for as a head coach, man, and leader of the football program.
“I enjoyed my role in the two top 10 recruiting classes we signed and want to wish everyone involved with the team nothing but success in the years to come.”
Jones was hired two years ago to oversee UGA’s recruiting staff, and helped the Bulldogs finish with the nation’s No. 11 recruiting class in 2013 and the No. 8 class in 2014.
In his role, Jones helped plan and organize football camps, entertain kids and their families for unofficial and official visits once they arrived on campus, and communicated with high school coaches, among other duties.
It was Jones who came up with the idea of sending hand-drawn portraits to recruits autographed by Mark Richt. Jones made a salary of $110,000 at UGA, per FOI requests.
Before being hired at UGA, Jones was a high school coach for 17 years in Georgia, including stints as head coach at Griffin, Wayne County and North Oconee high schools. He has also worked for Under Armour.
Both UGA and Georgia Tech will have new people directing their recruiting staffs.
Georgia Tech player personnel director Matt Griffin was fired with cause on May 1 for “violation of rules.” According to the AJC’s Ken Sugiura, per an open-records request, a letter from athletic director Mike Bobinski to Griffin informing him of his termination stated that he owes the athletic association $9,388.35 for “personal expenses charged to our accounts.”
Georgia Tech’s official website lists Pete Hurt, Samford University’s head coach from 1994 to 2001, as the team’s new player personal director.
- Blame the NCAA for unfair restrictions on transfer that are evil, spiteful, and flat-out wrong
- Rewind: Cousin signed with UGA to play with Josh Harvey-Clemons but now …
- Rewind: No. 1 DE admits he would’ve followed Rodney Garner to UGA
SOME OF YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITES
- UGA doesn’t put ANY transfer restrictions on players … wants what is best for student-athletes
- Rewind: Religious beliefs of UGA, Auburn & Clemson coaches made a difference
- Rewind: Bryson Allen-Williams on whirlwind finish with S.C., Bama & UGA
- Rewind: Georgia Tech’s top signee nearly went to FSU but switched at last minute
- Rewind: UGA signee lacked drama for a 5-star but ..
- Rewind: UGA’s Lorenzo Carter nearly signed with LSU
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.