Posted: 12:26 am Wednesday, July 9th, 2014
By Michael Carvell
McEachern High School’s Taj Griffin was the top Georgia performer at Tuesday’s Nike SPARQ competition.
Griffin was one of 16 Georgia players invited to participate to The Opening all-star camp at Nike Headquarters in Oregon. It features around 160 of the nation’s top college football prospects.
On Tuesday, Griffin finished No. 7 overall in the SPARQ competition, which measures recruits in four areas: 40-yard times, 20-yard times, the vertical jump and the power ball toss.
Griffin had a vertical jump of 45.8 inches, which would’ve been the second-highest jump in the history of the NFL Combine. The record is 46 inches in 2005 by former Dallas Cowboys safety Gerald Sensabaugh.
Griffin also was clocked at 4.31 in the 40, which would’ve been the second-fastest time at the 2014 NFL Combine.
It’s always interesting to see heights, weights and 40 times from Georgia’s elite prospects at The Opening. Some are very surprising (and not in a good way). Here’s the numbers (ranked by 40 times):
- Taj Griffin, RB, McEachern (Oregon commit), 5-9.5, 169, 4.31
- Roquan Smith, LB, Macon County (UGA, Auburn, Florida) 6-1, 203, 4.55
- Montrell Custis, DB, Lovejoy (Alabama commit) 5-11, 170, 4.59
- Terry Godwin, WR, Callaway (UGA commit) 5-11, 165, 4.60
- Preston Williams, WR, Lovejoy (Tennessee commit) 6-4, 192, 4.60
- Adonis Thomas, LB, Central Gwinnett (Florida and Alabama) 6-3, 219, 4.61
- Duke Shelley, DB, Tucker (Clemson, Tenn., Wisconsin) 5-9, 163, 4.64
- Quarte Sapp, LB, Milton (Tennessee and UNC) 6-1.5, 200, 4.76
- Chuma Edoga, OL, McEachern (USC commit) 6-3, 283, 4.91
- Natrez Patrick, DE, Mays (UGA commit) 6-3.5, 254, 4.96
- Austin Bryant, DL, Thomas Co. Central (Clemson, FSU, Auburn) 6-4, 249, 4.99
- Jonathan Ledbetter, DL, Tucker (Alabama commit) 6-3.5, 276, 5.04
- Chauncey Rivers, DE, Stephenson (UGA commit) 6-1.5, 252, 5.09
- Mitch Hyatt, OL, North Gwinnett (Clemson commit) 6-5, 274, 5.38
- Dallas Warmack, OL, Mays (Alabama commit) 6-1, 301, 5.64
- Darius Slayton, DB, GAC (Auburn and UGA), 6-1, 180, N/A
DE Josh Sweat ran 4.46 in 40 at The Opening today. That's faster than any DE at 2014 NFL Combine, including Jadeveon Clowney (4.53)—
Michael Carvell (@Carvell_AJC) July 09, 2014