Alabama released a statement after Wednesday’s football signing of Jonathan Taylor, the former UGA defensive tackle who was dismissed by the Bulldogs last summer after being arrested on an aggravated assault/family violence charge.
Taylor, who played at Mississippi’s Copiah-Lincoln junior college this past season, was one of eight midyear enrollees at Alabama.
“Jonathan Taylor was admitted to The University of Alabama following the same procedures that the UA Admissions office uses to evaluate any student who has dealt with legal issue,” said Alabama spokesperson Deborah Lane.
“The admissions process includes representatives from academic, legal, student affairs, student conduct, UAPD and counseling. Athletics is not involved in the admissions process. Taylor’s continued enrollment depends on his ability to fulfill all requirements the University has specifically mandated for him during his time as a UA student.”
Taylor was dismissed from UGA last summer after two legal issues within a few months. The final straw was a police response to a third-party complaint that Taylor had physically assaulted his girlfriend during a domestic dispute at McWhorter Hall dormitory. Police said evidence and witness accounts indicate the 6-foot-4, 340-pound Taylor “choked” and “struck with a closed fist” his 5-11, 170-pound female victim. The case remains pending and unresolved in Athens.
Last March, Taylor was one of four Georgia football players arrested for theft by deception after they were caught double-cashing meal reimbursement checks.
Taylor played at Jenkins County High School, and signed with UGA in 2012.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
- Brother of UGA RB Keith Marshall to visit … Georgia Tech
- Reaction from 5-star Terry Godwin and others on new UGA OC
- 10 questions with Van Jefferson: Is it still 50/50 for UGA after new OC?
- Alabama on Jonathan Taylor: “Athletics is not involved in admissions process”
- Auburn bumps out UGA for top prospect’s last visit date
- This week’s Recruiting Scorecard for Georgia Tech
- This week’s Recruiting Scorecard for UGA
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- Missed anything over the last few days? CLICK HERE for a shortcut
- UGA’s Big Board for 2015
- Georgia Tech’s Big Board for 2015
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.