Both Georgia Tech and UGA have taken a glance at Chris Williamson, the little-known DB out of Gainesville High School who has suddenly emerged as “the state’s hottest prospect.”
In fact, Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson and assistant stopped by Gainesville before last month’s NCAA dead period to eyeball the 6-foot-1, 190-pound senior.
“They were here, but I guess they didn’t pull the trigger with an offer,” Williamson said. “Georgia Tech is definitely interesting to me. They have great academics, and they are close to home.”
UGA has also shown some interest, although it is unknown how serious it is at this point. Williamson said he hasn’t had any direct contact with the UGA coaches. He said one of his high school assistants has mentioned that the Bulldogs might want him to visit on Jan. 23.
Hypothetically, that makes some sense since UGA’s top remaining target at DB, Donte Jackson of New Orleans, will decide between LSU, USC and the Bulldogs two days earlier, on Jan. 21. Jackson is projected to go to LSU by 55% of the recruiting analysts on 247sports. So if UGA misses on Jackson, they could look hard at some others.
How does Williamson feel about UGA? “You know, being from Georgia, I don’t know too much about UGA. One of my best friends, Darius Slayton, is committed there. I know him. If I got offered, I know he would recruit me pretty hard to go there. But I haven’t talked directly to any coaches there, no sir.”
THE LATEST RECRUITING HEADLINES
- Nick Saban catches heat for signing ex-UGA player accused of domestic violence
- Who is state’s hottest prospect?? Easy
- Brother of UGA RB Keith Marshall to visit … Georgia Tech
- Reaction from 5-star Terry Godwin and others on new UGA OC
- 10 questions with Van Jefferson: Is it still 50/50 for UGA after new OC?
- Both Georgia Tech and UGA take a glance at little-known DB
SO MUCH HAPPENING … DID YOU SEE THIS?
- Senior film of WR/DB Brad Stewart is out, and it’s outstanding
- Alabama on Jonathan Taylor: “Athletics is not involved in admissions process”
- Auburn bumps out UGA for top prospect’s last visit date
- This week’s Recruiting Scorecard for Georgia Tech
- This week’s Recruiting Scorecard for UGA
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- Missed anything over the last few days? CLICK HERE for a shortcut
- UGA’s Big Board for 2015
- Georgia Tech’s Big Board for 2015
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.