- UPDATE: Williamson told the AJC on Monday evening that he will take official visits to North Carolina on Jan. 16, Kentucky on Jan. 23, and Florida 30. He’s also working on a midweek visit to UGA, which is located only 40 miles away from his home.
UGA is the latest offer for the “state’s hottest prospect.”
Chris Williamson, a 6-foot-1 cornerback from Gainesville High School, was offered on Saturday night by the Bulldogs.
Within the last three days, the little-known prospect has received scholarship offers from Notre Dame, Florida, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, Kentucky – and now UGA.
“I just got off the phone with Coach Pruitt, the defensive coordinator at Georgia,” Williamson told the AJC. “He let me know that I had an offer. He likes my size and athletic skills at cornerback. They have a real desperate need at that position.
“It’s definitely an opportunity to come in and compete early. They definitely have such a huge need at the cornerback need, Coach Pruitt was telling me. So that’s attractive to me.
“It’s a huge offer. It’s the hometown school and it’s a close to home. That was a good one to get.”
Williamson has an official visit scheduled next weekend for North Carolina, and he took a recruiting trip to Cal last month. He will sit down with his parents over the next couple of days and try to figure out when to visit which school over the last two weeks of January – choosing among UGA, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Florida and Virginia Tech. He will likely make at least one midweek visit.
On Saturday, Williamson also talked over the phone with Notre Dame defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder, who held the same position at UGA.
“That’s another prolific offer,” he said. “That name, Notre Dame, carries a lot of weight. Also, a Notre Dame degree can set me up for a life. Notre Dame has a lot of history. That’s a huge, huge offer in my opinion.”
What about Georgia Tech? The Yellow Jackets were actually ahead of the pack, with coach Paul Johnson visiting Gainesville last month, according to Williamson. However, they have yet to offer.
Williamson would still like to get evaluated by Ohio State, Oregon and Baylor.
CLICK HERE for more background of Chris Williamson.
- Editor’s note: It will be interesting to see if the same type of phenomenon happens with Brad Stewart, the senior WR/DB out of Savannah. I thought the 6-1, 190-pounder was the best player out of 40+ D1 prospects at the state championship weekend at the Georgia. His new film is just out. And all it takes is a few big offers to get the ball rolling. CLICK HERE.
THE LATEST RECRUITING HEADLINES
- Nick Saban catches heat for signing ex-UGA player accused of domestic violence
- Who is state’s hottest prospect?? Easy
- Brother of UGA RB Keith Marshall to visit … Georgia Tech
- Reaction from 5-star Terry Godwin and others on new UGA OC
- 10 questions with Van Jefferson: Is it still 50/50 for UGA after new OC?
- Both Georgia Tech and UGA take a glance at little-known DB
SO MUCH HAPPENING … DID YOU SEE THIS?
- Senior film of WR/DB Brad Stewart is out, and it’s outstanding
- Alabama on Jonathan Taylor: “Athletics is not involved in admissions process”
- Auburn bumps out UGA for top prospect’s last visit date
- This week’s Recruiting Scorecard for Georgia Tech
- This week’s Recruiting Scorecard for UGA
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- Missed anything over the last few days? CLICK HERE for a shortcut
- UGA’s Big Board for 2015
- Georgia Tech’s Big Board for 2015
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.