Georgia Tech only has a few spots remaining in this year’s class, and Dorian Walker is one of the final targets.
Walker is the two-way standout that helped Mt. Paran Christian high school win its first state championship last month. A few days later, Walker got an offer from Georgia Tech, and he is scheduled to take an official visit with the Yellow Jackets on Friday.
The 6-foot, 175-pounder is a little-known senior who got December scholarship offers from Georgia Tech and Wake Forest. He’s also flirting with Clemson.
Walker told the AJC that he spoke with Georgia Tech recruiting coordinator Andy McCollum a few days ago to firm up his visit plans. It’s the only one he has scheduled so far for this month.
“I really like Georgia Tech,” Walker said. “It’s a good school. It’s a school that’s hard to get into. It’s a really good program. It means a lot to me that they offered me a scholarship.”
Walker, whose father studied engineering at Georgia Tech, said his future position with the Yellow Jackets is undecided. “They are not really sure. They like me on both sides of the ball. They’re just going to see when I get there, really.”
Walker is hoping to visit Clemson on Jan. 23, but nothing is finalized. “They want me, but I don’t think there’s a spot there for me yet.” He’s also trying to work out a visit to Wake Forest.
What about UGA? The Bulldogs stopped by his high school last month, and they spoke about maybe an official visit there for Jan. 30. But there haven’t been any conversations since.
“It was exciting at first, but it’s not as exciting now because we really haven’t been keeping in contact,” Walker said. “But it’s all right.”
Walker rushed for 2,252 yards and 33 touchdowns at Mt. Paran Christian this past season. He projects to play defensive back but could also help out on offense in college.
THE LATEST RECRUITING HEADLINES
- Nick Saban catches heat for signing ex-UGA player accused of domestic violence
- Who is state’s hottest prospect?? Easy
- Brother of UGA RB Keith Marshall to visit … Georgia Tech
- Reaction from 5-star Terry Godwin and others on new UGA OC
- 10 questions with Van Jefferson: Is it still 50/50 for UGA after new OC?
- Both Georgia Tech and UGA take a glance at little-known DB
SO MUCH HAPPENING … DID YOU SEE THIS?
- Senior film of WR/DB Brad Stewart is out, and it’s outstanding
- Alabama on Jonathan Taylor: “Athletics is not involved in admissions process”
- Auburn bumps out UGA for top prospect’s last visit date
- This week’s Recruiting Scorecard for Georgia Tech
- This week’s Recruiting Scorecard for UGA
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- Missed anything over the last few days? CLICK HERE for a shortcut
- UGA’s Big Board for 2015
- Georgia Tech’s Big Board for 2015
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.