- UPDATE: With Donte Jackson committing to LSU on Wednesday, Chris Williamson will now be a top priority for UGA.
If UGA is to have a shot at the “state’s hottest prospect,” the Bulldogs have to get him on campus.
And that’s looking more like a possibility after UGA coach Mark Richt personally reached out to Chris Williamson and his father over the telephone this week.
As things stand right now, the 6-foot-1 defensive back from Gainesville High School will likely at least take a one-day midweek visit to UGA next week. And there’s also a possibility that Williamson could bump out Florida for the Bulldogs with his final official weekend visit on Jan. 30.
“We’d like to get up to UGA for a visit, and my family is talking that over,” Williamson told the AJC on Tuesday night.
The last few weeks have been a whirlwind recruiting journey for Williamson, who got late offers this month from a dozen schools, including UGA, Florida, Notre Dame, Michigan and Auburn.
Williamson visited North Carolina last weekend, and he’ll go to Michigan this weekend. In fact, he and his family had an in-home visit with Michigan coaches on late Tuesday night in advance of the trip.
Back to UGA: Williamson has yet to set a visit date, which has obviously concerned the Bulldogs. But things might be moving forward after Richt got personally involved with a phone call.
“My dad and I talked to Coach Richt yesterday, and it went really well,” Williamson said. “He let me know that he would love to get me on campus. I know (UGA commit) Darius Slayton really well, and (Richt) talked to me about being roommates at Georgia with Darius.
What else did Richt say? “He wants me to come to UGA on the Jan. 30 weekend, which is when I’m going to Florida. We didn’t tell him we couldn’t because with the Florida visit, we’re still looking at that one. We didn’t make any promises that we were coming to UGA on that weekend. We told him that we’d talk about it as a family.”
What is holding up things with Florida? “We’ve been looking at the depth chart and stuff like that,” he said.
Williamson will make a final decision on his visit plans for next week after he returns from this weekend’s Michigan trip. He’s also considering a midweek visit to Auburn.
“You know, they’ve got good academics and a good history of winning at Auburn,” he said. “They’ve got a real good staff now. I’ve just heard a lot about the atmosphere at Auburn. I wouldn’t mind going down there and taking a look.”
Coaches from North Carolina and Cal are expected to stop by Gainesville on Wednesday, while UGA assistant Jeremy Pruitt may be there on Thursday.
THIS JUST IN …
- UGA loses one of its top recruits
- Roquan Smith’s coach has some good things to say about UGA
- Will UGA get visit from “state’s hottest prospect”? It’s looking better …
- Will Florida Gators be next offer for UGA OL target?
SOME OF OUR MOST POPULAR RECENT BLOGS
- Georgia Tech makes grayshirt offer to Brad Stewart; Where’s everybody else? He’s better than so many other D1 kids that have big offers
- Son of former Atlanta Falcons star … flips from UVA to Georgia Tech
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- Missed anything over the last few days? CLICK HERE for a shortcut
- UGA’s Big Board for 2015
- Georgia Tech’s Big Board for 2015
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.