Florida and Miami have made offers within the last week to Gus Cumberlander, a 6-foot-6 defensive end from Cedar Grove High School.
Both schools want to schedule official visits for this weekend.
But Cumberlander, after talking things over with his mother, has decided to stick with his original choice, Oregon.
“It was pretty crazy,” Cumberlander told the AJC on late Monday night. “And I used to like Florida. It was just too last minute for me.
“My mother and I decided that Oregon was the best place for me. They’ve been with me all along, and they’ve been loyal.”
Cumberlander, who is very raw but has a high ceiling of potential, committed to Oregon last October. He is rated as the state’s No. 117 overall prospect but has become a hot commodity in recent weeks. It may not be his last courtship before next week’s signing day.
“I think he’s pretty solid with Oregon,” Cedar Grove assistant Chris Hill said. “I know Miami offered him last week, and Florida offered this weekend. And from what I hear, he’s going to have a couple of more offers within the next day or so. I can’t say the schools yet, but they’re going to try to get him down for a last official visit.
“I guess defensive ends are a priority for a lot of schools. With his size, his skill set, and his speed, he is a commodity.”
Cumberlander’s older brother, Gerald Rivers, starred at Ole Miss and has played the last two seasons in the NFL.
THE LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- UGA dispatches almost entire staff on Monday to see one guy … Who? Why?
- Georgia Tech’s newest commit … is its highest-rated recruit from the state
- UGA 5-star recruit is done with visits … so is he “final” with his pick of Bulldogs?
DID YOU SEE THIS? …
- Ex-UGA recruit Van Jefferson admits he always wanted to go to Ole Miss & commits
- How was Georgia Tech visit for brother of UGA’s Keith Marshall?
- There’s 1 more OL spot open at UGA … will Dunwoody’s Nick Buchanan take it?
- UGA’s lone RB recruit is “70 to 80” percent committed after Okla. St. visit
- UGA DB recruit is at least “85-percent committed” to Bulldogs & visiting Texas
- Ex-Wisconsin recruit … commits to UGA
SOME OF OUR MOST POPULAR RECENT BLOGS
- Georgia Tech loses 1st commit of this class … will Brad Stewart get offer?
- UGA loses one of its top recruits
- Should UGA be worried about six commits taking visits elsewhere?
- Roquan Smith’s coach has some good things to say about UGA
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- Missed anything over the last few days? CLICK HERE for a shortcut
- UGA’s Big Board for 2015
- Georgia Tech’s Big Board for 2015
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.