UGA has dispatched nearly its entire coaching staff to Greater Atlanta Christian high school today after Darius Slayton surprised the Bulldogs by visiting Auburn this past weekend.
On offensive side of the ball, the 4-star receiver might be UGA’s most important recruit, especially after Van Jefferson de-committed from the Bulldogs last week (committing to Ole Miss on Sunday).
Slayton’s unexpected trip to Auburn this close to signing day was alarming news to UGA. And the Bulldogs were quick to react.
Assistants John Lilly and Bryan McClendon stopped by GAC in the morning, while offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt, along with wide receivers coach Tony Ball and McClendon were at the school in the afternoon.
“UGA’s message is something like, ‘You picked us a month ago; What has changed?’” GAC coach Tim Hardy told the AJC. “’Nothing has changed. If anything, we’ve improved. We brought in an NFL offensive coordinator.’
“I think UGA has done a great job of addressing what they needed to address with Darius. We’ll see what happens.”
Slayton’s coach politely declined to explain or speculate on what triggered Slayton’s surprise trip to Auburn this past weekend. Last month, Slayton committed to UGA over Auburn in a school ceremony.
“I don’t know,” Hardy said. “I really don’t have a much of a comment about the situation. I think it’s best for Darius and his family to discuss their situation. It is what it is. We’ll see what happens.”
Slayton will entertain Mark Richt for an in-home visit at some point this week, but his coach did not know the specifics. Hardy did say that Slayton is tentatively scheduled to return to UGA this weekend on an unofficial visit.
And what about Auburn? When will they send coaches to GAC this week? “I don’t know,” Hardy said. “They haven’t communicated with me since December.”
Slayton was one of six UGA recruits to take official visits to other schools this weekend – less two weeks away from signing day. The others were DB DeAndre Baker (Texas), RB Chris Carson (Oklahoma State), WR Terry Godwinn (Alabama), WR/DB Shaq Wilson (West Virginia), and WR Jayson Stanley (UCF).
THE LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- UGA dispatches almost entire staff on Monday to see one guy … Who? Why?
- Georgia Tech’s newest commit … is its highest-rated recruit from the state
- UGA 5-star recruit is done with visits … so is he “final” with his pick of Bulldogs?
DID YOU SEE THIS? …
- Ex-UGA recruit Van Jefferson admits he always wanted to go to Ole Miss & commits
- How was Georgia Tech visit for brother of UGA’s Keith Marshall?
- There’s 1 more OL spot open at UGA … will Dunwoody’s Nick Buchanan take it?
- UGA’s lone RB recruit is “70 to 80” percent committed after Okla. St. visit
- UGA DB recruit is at least “85-percent committed” to Bulldogs & visiting Texas
- Ex-Wisconsin recruit … commits to UGA
SOME OF OUR MOST POPULAR RECENT BLOGS
- Georgia Tech loses 1st commit of this class … will Brad Stewart get offer?
- UGA loses one of its top recruits
- Should UGA be worried about six commits taking visits elsewhere?
- Roquan Smith’s coach has some good things to say about UGA
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- Missed anything over the last few days? CLICK HERE for a shortcut
- UGA’s Big Board for 2015
- Georgia Tech’s Big Board for 2015
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.