Less than 24 hours after confirming his commitment to UGA, Chris Carson flipped to Oklahoma State on Monday.
“I’m in class and I can’t talk right now, but yea I’ve committed to Oklahoma State,” Carson told the AJC in a text message.
When asked for the reason for his switch, Carson said: “A better situation at OSU (for playing time).”
This news, coming two days before signing day, is a surprising turn of events for UGA.
Carson, who prepped at Parkview High School, was the only running back that the Bulldogs had committed in this year’s class after they struggled to recruit elite ones of our high school who were scared away by depth (UGA returns Nick Chubb, Sony Michel and Keith Marshall).
Carson could be the the first of several flips this week. Two UGA receiver commits, Darius Slayton and 5-star Terry Godwin, are both thinking about switching to Auburn. Meanwhile, UGA DB commit DeAndre Baker of Miami will announce between Texas and the Bulldogs on signing day.
UGA’S DE-COMMITS FROM 2015 CLASS (7)
- Pat Allen, OL, 6-4, 285, Reistertown (Md.) Franklin (undecided): This de-commitment was connected to the departure of UGA’s offensive line coach, Will Friend. Allen will announce between UGA, Tennessee and Ohio State around 8:45 a.m. Wednesday. UGA could get some good news here.
- Chris Carson, RB, 6-1, 210, Butler (Kansas) junior college: Oklahoma State got involved only a few weeks before signing day and successfully flipped UGA’s lone signee at running back for this year’s class. Carson prepped at Parkview High School.
- Rico McGraw, DB, 6-0, 190, Nashville, Tenn (undecided): McGraw flipped from UGA to Alabama in July 2014, seven months after initially pledging to UGA. He de-committed from Alabama a week before signing day, and UGA is favorite because of Jeremy Pruitt’s relentless recruiting. He will announce at 10:15 a.m. Wednesday.
- Van Jefferson, WR, 6-2, 170, Brentwood, Tenn (committed to Ole Miss): The son of former Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Shawn Jefferson committed out of the blue to UGA last summer. Dad wanted him to go to UGA, while mom voted for Ole Miss. Mom won. But the drama might not be over — Jefferson took an official visit to Michigan on the final weekend before signing day and there are rumors he could flip again.
- Christian Owens, WR, 6-5, 200, Griffin (committed to South Carolina): Owens was UGA’s first commit for 2015 class, but switched to South Carolina 18 months later. He didn’t explain his reasons for the change, but there was speculation that UGA could not promise him early enrollment (ironically that was promised to Van Jefferson, who flipped).
- Quincy Vasser, DE, 6-4, 240, Navarro (Texas) junior college (committed to Texas): He committed to UGA without ever visiting UGA or the state of Georgia in his life and without ever meeting or talking with Mark Richt. However, Vasser took an official visit to UGA for Dawg Night, and everything appears hunky dory … until he took a December visit to Texas and flipped to the Longhorns three days later.
- Shaquery Wilson, DB, 6-3, 190, Miami, Fla. (committed to West Virginia): He reportedly felt like he had a better chance at playing WR (his true love) at West Virginia rather than at UGA.
UGA’S FLIPS FOR 2015 CLASS (5)
- Michael Barnett, DE, 6-5, 258, Dorchester (S.C.) Woodland: Surprised everybody when scheduled a ceremony at school to sign financial-aid papers with FSU … and signed with UGA instead. He started classes at UGA in January.
- Jonathan Ledbetter, DL, 6-4, 275, Tucker: He switched from Alabama to UGA after the Bulldogs signed his brother Joe (who played Div. II basketball) to a football scholarship. He started classes at UGA in January.
- Chauncey Rivers, DE, 6-3, 225, Stephenson: He switched from South Carolina to UGA last year as a junior.
- Deontai Williams, DB, 6-0, 175, Jacksonville (Fla.) Trinity Christian Academy: He switched from Florida to UGA last summer.
- Jarvis Wilson, DB, 6-2, 197, Tupelo, Miss. He switched from Mississippi State to UGA.
RECRUITING NEWS FROM THE LAST FEW HOURS …
- Nick Buchanan de-commits from Cal. It’s UGA vs. Florida …
- RB flips from Georgia Southern to UGA after unexpected phone call
- Former Parkview star explains his reasons for flipping from UGA
- Meet Derrick Brown, one of nation’s top 2016 prospects (he’s from Gwinnett)
DID YOU MISS THIS FROM YESTERDAY?
- How badly does Gus Malzahn want to flip a UGA 5-star commit? Wow
- This was the BEST news for UGA this weekend
- Update on Darius Slayton, another UGA vs. Auburn battle
- Will DB get UGA “dream offer” after visit with Bulldogs”
- LB flips from UCLA to … Georgia Tech
- Has UGA’s new OC made the splash you expected in recruiting?
LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- UGA’s FLIP CHART
- Mark Richt treated like a ROCK STAR while recruiting in Middle Georgia
- True story: UGA target plays … video games … with college coach
- Will underrated Atlanta prospect sign with UGA?
- Roquan Smith’s coach has some good things to say about UGA
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- Missed anything over the last few days? CLICK HERE for a shortcut
- UGA’s Big Board for 2015
- Georgia Tech’s Big Board for 2015
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.