Tae Crowder is a diehard UGA fan, but he has never stepped on the SEC school’s campus.
The running back from Harris County High School admits he was totally caught off guard when Mark Richt and his staff wanted to talk over the phone around 8 p.m. Monday.
By the end of the conversation, Crowder had switched his commitment from Georgia Southern to UGA — sight unseen.
“I couldn’t believe it,” Crowder told the AJC. “I swear I did not know this was coming. It was truly unexpected. But it didn’t take me long at all to think about it.”
UGA had lost another running back earlier on Monday, and the Bulldogs really wanted to fill that spot. So they turned to Crowder, a 2-star recruit who had committed to Georgia Southern in December.
The 6-foot-3, 220-pounder also claimed offers from Marshall and Kentucky. He never visited those schools, but it was his brush with Marshall that opened the doors for Crowder at UGA. The new Director of Player Personnel for the Bulldogs, Todd Hartley, was recently hired from Marshall.
“I always knew Coach Hartley,” Crowder said. “He recruited me at Marshall, but he went back to Georgia. He told the staff about me. He showed them my film, and they really liked it. I talked to the whole staff in that call, and they wanted me to come to Georgia.”
Even though Crowder has never seen UGA’s campus, he said it was a no-brainer to commit. He’ll finally get to see Athens after signing day on an official visit.
The next phone call, to Georgia Southern running backs coach Dell McGee, wasn’t as jovial.
“He kind of gave me a little talk,” Crowder said. “He understands, but he still gave me a talk about it. He told me to ‘Be smart and make smart decisions.’”
Crowder, who is rated as the state’s No. 214 overall prospect, is commitment No. 25 for UGA, which could sign as many as 31 on Wednesday.
Here’s a scouting report on Crowder: “He’s a poor man’s Todd Gurley. He excels between the tackles, but can be an H-Back also. Really, he’s an all-around athlete. UGA can split him out wide, too. He’s a hidden gem. He’s another guy that big schools didn’t do their homework on. They look at the 247sports.com lists when they start to scramble.”
RECRUITING NEWS FROM THE LAST FEW HOURS …
- Nick Buchanan de-commits from Cal. It’s UGA vs. Florida …
- RB flips from Georgia Southern to UGA after unexpected phone call
- Former Parkview star explains his reasons for flipping from UGA
- Meet Derrick Brown, one of nation’s top 2016 prospects (he’s from Gwinnett)
DID YOU MISS THIS FROM YESTERDAY?
- How badly does Gus Malzahn want to flip a UGA 5-star commit? Wow
- This was the BEST news for UGA this weekend
- Update on Darius Slayton, another UGA vs. Auburn battle
- Will DB get UGA “dream offer” after visit with Bulldogs”
- LB flips from UCLA to … Georgia Tech
- Has UGA’s new OC made the splash you expected in recruiting?
LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- UGA’s FLIP CHART
- Mark Richt treated like a ROCK STAR while recruiting in Middle Georgia
- True story: UGA target plays … video games … with college coach
- Will underrated Atlanta prospect sign with UGA?
- Roquan Smith’s coach has some good things to say about UGA
TO GET THE BIG PICTURE
- Missed anything over the last few days? CLICK HERE for a shortcut
- UGA’s Big Board for 2015
- Georgia Tech’s Big Board for 2015
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.