One of UGA’s top football signees could be selected in the MLB Draft, which goes from today until Wednesday.
Terry Godwin is a 5-star receiver from Callaway High School who signed with UGA for football last February. Godwin actually enrolled in summer school classes with the Bulldogs last week.
Godwin is also a baseball standout, and has attracted interest from a handful of professional baseball teams. He has participated in private workouts for the Atlanta Braves and Texas Rangers within the last few weeks.
Here’s what one MLB scout told the AJC about Godwin, who could be taken late in the draft:
“He has a ton of tools. I think it’s something where he’s an athlete with a lot of upside. They (the team that drafts him) can turn him from an athlete into a baseball player. He’s much more advanced than many people think he is. He has got some real talent. We don’t know which way he’ll end up going, but he has a real quick learning curve and a good feel for the game. I mean, this guy isn’t just an athlete out there playing baseball. He’s a really good ballplayer … He has really good hand-eye coordination. He can put the bat on the ball. He has really good instincts. He is one of those guys who can play any sport and be good at it. Obviously, it’s hard to be like that at the highest levels of sports, but he may have a chance to be one of those guys.”
From another MLB scout: “It’s tough to find guys as athletic as (Godwin) in baseball. He’s an intriguing athlete. All it takes is for one team to like him.”
Here are the rest of five recruiting stories that people are talking about from over the weekend:
2. Did he? Or did he not? Several media outlets reported that Georgia Tech picked up commitment No. 5 on Sunday night. But not so fast, my friend. CLICK HERE for the update story.
3. Next UGA offer to an eighth-grader? UGA definitely offered a middle schooler on Friday, and its look like they might’ve offered another one in THIS STORY by the AJC’s Jeff Sentell. And if you think this is unusual for colleges to do … yes, it’s awkward but not unusual. Like it or not, it’s a growing trend in recruiting. In fact, on Sunday, Auburn’s Gus Malzahn offered a scholarship to Dominick Blaylock after he ran a 4.5 in the 40-yard dash at camp. Blaylock is the son of former NBA All-Star Mookie Blaylock, and he’s a rising freshman at Walton High School. His first offer was South Carolina in March. Woods will audition for a UGA offer at Saturday’s Mark Richt camp.
4. Catch up on recruiting news: Outside of the final stretch towards national signing day, this is the busiest time of the year for college football recruiting. Here are links to some of the AJC stories from over the weekend:
* Top 10 performers at UGA camp, Day 1
* Top 10 performers at UGA camp, Day 2
* Alabama commit earns offer from UGA
* Top 10 performers at Central Gwinnett 7 on 7
* Evander Holyfield’s son on UGA visit “Went Great”
* Georgia Tech offers son of NFL Pro Bowler
5. UGA watch list: Remember the name of Malik Robinson, a rising junior at linebacker for South Gwinnett High School. He has an early offer from Auburn, and is hoping to earn one from UGA last summer. He talked about his affinity for the Bulldogs in the below video: