Tremayne Anchrum is one of UGA’s top targets on the offensive line for this year’s recruiting class.
Anchrum, a 3-star offensive lineman from McEachern High School, says UGA coaches contact him almost daily expressing their desires for him to commit. Some of those messages are from Mark Richt.
“He (Richt) just says they really want me there, that I can make a difference for the offensive front, and he really enjoys spending time with me,” Anchrum told the AJC. “He tells me that I would be a great addition to the Georgia family.”
The 6-foot-3, 268-pounder currently has UGA in his top eight schools, along with Nebraska, Wake Forest, Boston College, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Missouri and Colorado.
He says UGA’s coaches have told him that he projects to be a tackle or center at the next level.
Here are five things you need to know about Anchrum:
1) Best friends with 5-star UGA commit: Anchrum is teammates at McEachern with Julian Rochester. He thinks of him like family. “We’ve been together since freshman year and we’ve been through a lot with each other. We’re very close. We do a lot of things together. He’s like my brother.”
2) Leader for Anchrum? He doesn’t have a leader, but he is most interested in UGA. “Georgia has always been up there. I have always liked them. I’ve always been a fan and they have always been in the top tier to me and I like the environment (the UGA coaches) are creating. I also like the class they are bringing in.”
3) Timeline on decision: Anchrum plans on visiting more colleges before making a decision. “I’ll probably commit around October. That’s because I have to take official (visits). And I want to see the campuses on game day and get the whole experience.” Which schools will definitely get officials? Anchrum is undecided, but said they will come out of his top eight.
4) Next UGA visit: He last visited Athens in early June for the 7-on-7 camp, but he doesn’t know when he’ll be back. “I don’t know if I’ll be at Dawg Night. I still haven’t decided.”
5) Future weatherman: While in college, Anchrum hopes to major either in meteorology or broadcasting. He hopes to get some internships with local TV stations. “It’s interesting to learn about the natural world and different phenomena in the atmosphere. I grew up in Colorado, so I’ve always been interested with nature.” Will we see him on TV one day broadcasting the weather? “You just might.”